Are you new to working with News Stories?
If you do not yet have a News section, follow these steps to get started.
Step 1: The Essentials
- Navigate to and select your news listing folder.
- Select Add Content >> Borrowed Story.
- Enter a Page Name (no spaces, all lowercase).
- Set the parent and sibling checkboxes. These adjust the left menu on this page only.
- Click Choose Page and browse to the original Story page you wish to borrow.
- Save & Preview to review your draft. Note that in the preview in Cascade, there is an Original Story Page link at the top. This does not display on the published page. This indicates to editors in Cascade that this is a borrowed News Story and it can be used to navigate to the original in Cascade.
- Submit >> Review Content & Submit.
- Publish your news listing folder.
- When the original News Story page is edited, the changes will automatically be applied to applied to this Borrowed Story and display on the live site once the borrowed version is published.
Step 2: Add right-column elements (optional)
Step 3: Adjust which News Stories are featured on your homepage. (optional)
- If your site does not automatically display news stories on the homepage, you will first need to contact your Cascade Web Manager to request this custom feature.
- Next, set the folder order of the stories.
- The stories you want displayed on the home page should be numbered 1 and 2 (and 3 or 4 if your site displays four stories on its homepage).
NOTE: Ignore the 'Top Story' checkbox while in the edit mode of a News Story or Borrowed Story. This field applies only to the University Communications W&M News website.
- You cannot borrow a Borrowed Story. You must locate the original version and borrow it. An original page can be borrowed multiple times.
- You cannot borrow a Feature with this asset — be sure you're trying to borrow an actual News Story.