Cascade is not the web server. You can create, edit, save and preview assets in Cascade but they are not visible on the web until they are published.
Publishing sends items to the web server and makes them available to everyone on the internet.
Unpublishing removes items from the web server so they are no longer available online.
Most Cascade users can publish any of their assets by clicking Publish at the top of the screen then clicking Submit. Your publish job then goes into the queue behind any other publish jobs. Once your job is in the queue, you are free to continue working. Any changes made after submitting to the publish queue will not be published unless you submit for publishing again.
Often you will see your published results within a minute... but if you're behind someone's large publish job you may need to be patient. To see where your job is in the queue, click the 'hamburger' icon (top right corner, icon with three horizontal lines) >> Publish Queue. This page will show the progress of your publishing.
Publishing Through a Workflow
If you do not have permission to publish and you need something published (outside of a scheduled publish), you'll have to submit into a Workflow.
- Complete your edits, click Save & Preview >> Submit >> Start Workflow.
- On the page that follows select Start Workflow. Depending on your workflow, this may trigger a publish, but more likely it will trigger an email to your approver who can approve and publish your content.
Unpublishing an item
- Select the asset (Note: actions applied to a folder, apply to everything within that folder).
- You can either right-click over the asset and choose Unpublish or click More in the top right corner and choose Unpublish.
- Click Submit.
- The asset no longer exists on the internet, but remains in Cascade for editing and future publishing.
Note: your assets could be re-published at any time by a fellow site editor or a scheduled job. Follow the steps below if you need to prevent your asset from being published.
This can be useful if you do not want a page you're building in Cascade to be on your website now, but you will want it there in the future.
- Select the asset. (Note: actions applied to a folder, apply to everything within that folder)
- Click Edit (for individual pages, you will also need to click the Configure tab).
- Un-check the Include when publishing checkbox.
- When you're ready for the page/folder to be published, re-check the Include when publishing checkbox.
If an asset is published and you want to unpublish it AND prevent it from publishing ... you'll need to unpublish it first.
- For efficiency, if you are just editing one page/folder, only publish that page/folder.
- If you have added a new page, moved a page or made changes that affect menus, publish your entire site. Navigate to your root folder, click Publish then Submit.
- If you are making several changes that you think will require a publish of your entire site, make all of your changes and do the full publish once (Note: there are others publishing as well and Cascade processes each item one at a time as they appear in the publish queue).
Common Publishing Issues
I published my page but my listbox/widget is not showing up on the website. I just see some garbled code in the right column.
Listboxes, widgets and photosets are separate pages as far as Cascade is concerned. You must publish the listbox/widget/photoset folder in addition to the actual page or story using it.
I unpublished a folder but my link is still showing up in the page menu as a broken link.
Unpublishing a folder does not affect the page menu. To remove a link from the page menu you need to edit the folder and un-check Display in Menu. Then you will need to re-publish the parent folder to remove the link from the menus of the parent and siblings.
I published my page, but my edits are not showing up on my live site.
Check the Publish Queue to see if your job has completed. If it has, and you still do not see the changes, check to see if your edits were only saved as a draft. You may still need to Submit the draft and then publish.