Need to put an existing widget on your page? Skip to Step 2.
Step 1: Build the Widget
- Navigate to your widget storage folder (you may have a folder labeled _widgets or something similar). If you don't have one, build one now.
- Select Add Content >> Right Column Items >> Widget Folder.
- Enter Folder Name (lowercase, no spaces) and Display Name then Submit.
- Upload your widget image(s) to the widget folder (must be 240x150 in size).
- Edit the Widget file found inside the widget folder.
- Enter your Custom Header Text.
- Select the Widget Image and enter Teaser Text.
- Choose Internal URL or enter External URL for the More... link.
- Use + to enter additional images/teasers if applicable (this enables the rotating widget images/teasers).
- Save & Preview >> Submit >> Check Content & Submit then Publish the widget folder.
- Edit the page where you want to place the widget.
- Check the box next to “Show right column?”.
- Under the Widgets section, click "Choose Page" to browse to the Widget file and select it then click Choose.
- Save & Preview >> Submit >> Check Content & Submit then Publish the index page.
What if my Widget does not show up on a published page?
Widgets need to be published separate from the page(s) that contain them. Make sure that your Widget folder is published.
Why is the Teaser there, but the Widget image is not showing up on the published page?
Edit the Widget, go to the Configure tab and make sure that "Maintain absolute links when rewriting" is checked. Save & Preview, Submit and re-publish the widget.
What should I do if I added the widget to a page, but don't see it in the preview?
In addition to adding the widget to your page, you must check the box next to "Show right column?" in order to enable ANY features in the third column.
What if I want to place a widget I've seen on other W&M webpages?
There are many top-level widgets used throughout the W&M website that are available for anyone to use. When browsing for a Widget file, look in /www.wm.edu/_widgets/. You'll find everything from widgets leading to photo galleries to W&M traditions to Majors & Minors and more!