Close menu Resources for... William & Mary
William & Mary W&M menu close William & Mary

Visa Information

Visa Options
Applying to W&M
  • International Students: Apply to W&M through the Undergraduate Admission or through Graduate Admissions.  
  • International Scholars: Once you receive an invitation from a department to host you at W&M or VIMS, you will complete the process to become a J-1 scholar with your department. Once you and your department complete the process, you will receive a DS-2019 and can apply for your visa.
Choosing a Visa Type
  • Explore which visa type is right for you:
    • F-1 is typically used for students getting a degree at W&M or VIMS
    • J-1 is typically used for exchange students and visiting scholars
Requesting your I-20 or DS-2019 to Begin Study
  1. Once you have been admitted to W&M or VIMS and paid your deposit, you will receive an email from our online system iStart. 
  2. Through iStart, you will complete an online form and upload copies of your passport identity page (if you have one) and financial documentation (i.e., proof of funding).
  3. The request will be electronically endorsed by your admissions office and then routed to the Office of International Students, Scholars & Programs (ISSP).
  4. ISSP will issue the I-20 or DS-2019, send it to you, and notify you that it is on its way. You will use it to apply for your visa.
Applying for a Visa

If you have any immigration questions, contact the Office of International Students, Scholars & Programs.

Selecting Travel Dates
  • You may enter the U.S.. up to 30 calendar days before the program start date on your I-20 or DS-2019. Students who recently attended another U.S.. school and have transferred their immigration record to W&M are not bound to this rule.
  • If your arrival to campus will be delayed, please contact the Office of International Students, Scholars & Programs so that we can provide guidance.
  • Booking your flight:

    • New undergraduate students, including exchange students, are required to attend the New Student Orientation.
    • Please also refer to the academic calendar and residence hall schedules (if you are living on-campus) before you book your flight tickets. Exams cannot be scheduled around flights, and on-campus housing close shortly after the exam period.
    • Graduate students should check with their programs to determine when they should arrive on-campus for program orientation, etc.
Traveling to the U.S.

See the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) for health-related entry requirements. 

When you first arrive in the U.S.. at the airport or border, you will go through an immigration checkpoint and will answer questions from an immigration officer about the purpose of your stay.

Keep these documents with you in your carry-on luggage: 

  • Passport
  • F-1 or J-1 visa (located in your passport).
    • Bermudan or Canadian citizens do not need a F-1 or J-1 visa to enter the U.S..
  • I-20 (for F-1s) or DS-2019 (for J-1s)
  • Admission or invitation letter from William & Mary or VIMS
  • Receipt of SEVIS fee payment
  • Financial documents (such as bank statements, scholarship details, etc.)
  • U.S.. Customs Declaration Form (you will receive that on the flight to the U.S..)
The immigration officer will review your documents, take your photo and fingerprints, stamp your passport, and mark it as F-1 or J-1 and D/S. D/S means you may stay in the U.S.. while your documents are valid and you maintain legal status.

You will also receive an electronic I-94 entry record, typically updated shortly after you arrive.

If you have any problems entering the U.S.., call our office at 757-221-3590 or on weekends and evenings, call 757-221-4596 (W&M Police).