Applying for an F-1 Visa

To enter the U.S. as an F-1 student, you will need to obtain an F-1 visa at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate. You may apply for a visa up to 120 days before the start date on your I-20.

How to get an I-20 to begin study at W&M
  1. Once you have been admitted to W&M and paid your deposit, you will receive an email from our online system iStart. 
  2. Through iStart, you will complete an online form and upload copies of your passport identity page (if you have one) and financial documentation (i.e. proof of funding).
  3. The request will be electronically endorsed by the admissions office and then routed to the Reves Center.
  4. Reves Center will issue the I-20, send it out, and notify you that it is on its way.
Once you have your I-20, follow the steps below:
Step 1: Pay the SEVIS Fee

Before applying for your F-1 visa, you must pay a SEVIS Fee of $200 (increasing to $350 on June 24, 2019). You can pay this electronically or by mail, but payment must be received at least 3 days before the visa interview, or for Bermudan or Canadian citizens, 3 days before you enter the U.S. For more information on the SEVIS fee, read ICE I-901 FAQ.

If you previously paid the SEVIS fee, and your F-1 record has stayed active, you do not need to pay it again.

If you are transferring your immigration record from another school, you do not need to pay the SEVIS fee. For more information about this, contact the [[globe, Reves Center]].

Step 2: Schedule your visa interview appointment

Instructions will be on the website of the embassy or consulate at which you apply. This is typically handled by a call center or service that contracts with the embassy. U.S. State Department policy requires that embassies and consulates give students priority in visa appointments. 

As a part of the process, you will pay a visa application fee and sometimes a visa reciprocity fee, which varies by country, and is rarely applicable.

Tips for a successful visa application

Bermudan or Canadian Citizens

Bermudan or Canadian citizens do not need to apply for a student (F-1 or J-1) or dependent (F-2 or J-2) visa; they may simply enter with the I-20, proof of citizenship (i.e., passport or driver's license and birth certificate), admission letter, SEVIS Fee payment receipt, and evidence of financial support. They will however, have to pay the SEVIS fee at least 3 days before entering the U.S. The SEVIS fee cannot be paid at the border.

Step 3: Apply for the Visa

At the visa application appointment, the officer will conduct a brief interview of you and review your documents. Sometimes they will thoroughly examine your documents.  Other times they will not look at everything. It's still best to bring all documents to be prepared!

To obtain the F-1 visa, you will need the following documents:

  • an I-20
  • a valid passport
  • evidence of financial support (Certification of Financial Support, bank statement, assistantship or scholarship letter)
  • evidence of ties to your home country (employment offer, concrete plans on how your education in the U.S. will help your career in your home country, family and property ties, etc.) 
  • visa application form DS-160.  If you need to list a U.S. address in your application, you can list the address of your department, or the Reves Center's physical address (200 S. Boundary St, Williamsburg, VA 23185).
  • refer to the list below for additional items you will need.

In some cases the consulate may keep your I-20. If you do not receive your I-20 after your appointment, contact the Reves Center for a replacement, as you will need this when traveling to the U.S.

Additional Documents

New Students will need:

  • documents listed above
  • receipt of the SEVIS fee payment
  • admission letter from William & Mary or VIMS

Continuing Students will need:

Students on OPT will need:

  • documents listed above
  • valid travel signature on form I-20 (while on OPT, signatures valid for 6 months from date of signing)
  • EAD card (OPT card)
  • letter from employer, verifying employment, recognizing travel (recommended)

Check with your U.S. Consulate to see if they require any additional documents.

Security Checks

Some of you may be subject to a security check as part of your visa application, which may delay getting your visa. This is often referred to as "administrative processing." While most security checks are completed within 2 weeks, (the U.S. State Department works with the other federal agencies involved to expedite them), in rare cases they can take several months. Various factors may make you more likely to have a security check, such as your country of citizenship, your gender, and the field you are studying.

Applying for a visa after Changing Status

If you are currently in the U.S. in another status and plan to change status to F-1, please see Changing Status to F-1 for more information.

If you have already changed status within the U.S. (e.g. H-4 to F-1) and this will be your first subsequent F-1 visa application, you should carry with you your I-797 Change of Status Approval Notice as well as documentation of your previous status with you (e.g. old H-4 Approval Notice).

Authorization of your F-1 Visa

If the consular officer grants you the visa, he or she will instruct you on when and where you can pick it up. The visa will have an expiration date; however, the expiration date on the visa is not the date by which you must leave the U.S. As long as you maintain F-1 status, you may stay in the U.S. until the completion of your program plus 60 days (After completing your program you have a 60 day grace period in which you may travel in the U.S., prepare for your return home, etc; however, you cannot work during that period - even on-campus).

Entry to the US

On you first entry to the US with your I-20, you cannot enter any earlier than 30 days before the start date on your I-20. For travel after that, (e.g., summer break), there is no restriction.