Close menu Resources for... William & Mary
W&M menu close William & Mary

F-2 and J-2 Dependent Visas

The spouse and unmarried children (under age 21) of an F-1 or J-1 visa holder are eligible for the F-2/J-2 visa. For the F-2/J-2 visa, they will need the following documents:

  • an I-20 issued for a F-2 dependent or a DS-2019 issued for a J-2 dependent (if you are a current student or scholar, you will need to submit a Request for an I-20 or DS-2019 for a New Dependent
  • a valid passport
  • evidence of financial support for you and your dependents (bank statement, assistantship, or scholarship letter, etc). You may use the same documentation as the F-1/J-1
  • visa application form DS-160
Additional Documents

Dependents of continuing students or scholars will also need:

  • a valid travel signature on the dependent I-20/DS-2019 (signatures are valid for 1 year from date of signing)
  • a W&M transcript (recommended for F-2)
  • offer/employment letter from W&M or VIMS (recommended for J-2)

Check with your U.S. Consulate to see if they require any additional documents.

Changing Status in the U.S.

If your spouse or child is already in the U.S. in another immigration status and they would like to apply for a change of status to F-2 or J-2 without leaving the country, please contact the Office of International Students, Scholars & Programs for more information.

Studying in the U.S.

J-2 visa holders are eligible for part-time or full-time study in the U.S.

F-2 visa holders are permitted to study in the U.S. in the following instances:

  • Kindergarten – 12th grade
  • Non-credit continuing education classes (e.g., arts class, community class, part-time language class)
  • University level, including non-degree seeking and degree-seeking, provided it is part-time only and at a SEVP certified school

If your spouse or child is interested in enrolling in university courses at W&M, they should contact the registrar. They would pay the out of state tuition rate, prorated per credit hour and would be required to show proof of their F-2/J-2 status.

  • For undergraduate level study, they would need to contact the university registrar
  • For graduate level study, they should contact the respective graduate registrar (e.g., for Education, Law, VIMS, Business, Arts & Sciences)

J-2 visa holders can apply for authorization to work in the U.S. Please contact the Office of International Students, Scholars & Programs for assistance.

All employment, including on-campus employment and assistantships, is prohibited for persons in F-2 status.

International Family Network

The International Family Network (IFN) provides support to W&M's international community. Coming from all over the globe, members share activities that promote friendship and understanding, including English conversation classes, excursions, and special events.

Childcare and School Registration

Please refer to the International Family Handbook for information about pre-schools and childcare and registering your child for school.