Form I-9 is used to verify the identity and employment authorization of individuals hired for employment in the United States. All U.S. employers must properly complete Form I-9 for each individual they hire for employment in the United States. This includes citizens and non-citizens. Both employees and employers (or authorized representatives of the employer) must complete the form.
The university participates in the E-verify program and completes all employee I-9’s via Equifax. All employees must appear in person to complete the I-9 process.
- A UHR Employment Specialist sends the new hire a link to complete Section 1 of Form I-9.
- Section 1 may be completed as soon as the offer has been made but no later than the first day of work.
- The supervisor and or department I-9 approver reminds the new hire to complete Section 1 no later than the first day of work.
- If necessary, re-send the link to the new hire: https://www.newi9.com/
- The Employer code is 14621.
- I-9 approvers, your User ID is your Banner ID.
- If a new hire fails to participate in Section 1 by the first day of work, the department must instruct the worker to stop working immediately and must contact UHR.
- The department I-9 approver completes Section 2 on the first, second, or third day of work.
- If a new hire fails to participate in Section 2 by the third day of work, the department must instruct the worker to stop working immediately and must contact University HR.
- You do not have a departmental verifier or need back-up support
- An employee has applied for a social security number but does not yet have one
Risk of Noncompliance
Failure to properly complete, retain, and/or make available for inspection I-9 forms as required by law, may result in civil monetary or criminal penalties. If the university receives a fine or penalty because of I-9 non-compliance, the cost of such fine will be charged to the department and/or school responsible for not completing the I-9 accurately or within the federal time limits.
Each department must have a trained I-9 approver. New approvers may complete training within Cornerstone.
- Log in with your W&M ID and password.
- In the search box, type "I9" with no hyphen.
- Complete I-9 Step 1- Essential Information, I-9 Step 2- Required Training, I-9 Step 3-Request for User Account and I-9 Supplemental – New Hire Instructions
- Submit completed access approval form to [[AskHR]].
Fully Remote Workers
Workers whose position descriptions are, by nature, 100% remote, and who are not local to the Williamsburg area participate in I-9 Anywhere. This feature has added financial and labor costs and is reserved for 100% remote workers. It is not offered to student workers or hybrid workers.
- Request University Human Resources to initiate I-9 Anywhere well in advance of the start date; provide the new hire’s name, email address, postal code, and hire date.
- Ask the employee if a trained individual at a local university or government agency is willing to complete the form. Provide to University Human Resources the local approver’s name, email address and contact phone number of the individual. The person verifying cannot be a family relation and must meet the employee in person.
- The new hire will receive an email from Equifax with email address of the W&M UHR contact. It will have detailed information on how to fill out Section 1 and provide a Receipt Code that the new hire will have to provide to the I-9 Completer.
- Once UHR has the information pertaining to the Completer, they will be established as an I-9 Completer User in the I-9 system.
- To access Section 2, the I-9 Completer will need the Receipt Code, and a password that UHR will create. UHR will email them once the user information is set up.