It is the policy of W&M to hire individuals only after conducting criminal history and other background checks and considering whether any past conduct, if repeated at W&M, could substantially adversely affect an important interest of the university or members of the campus community.
An Employment Specialist will initiate the background check at the appropriate time via Truescreen, a third-party provider.
- An email will be sent to the applicant inviting them to login to the Application Station to complete the online release form.
- The results will be returned to University Human Resources.
- Most background checks conclude within two days. However, some checks may last weeks. Some departments withhold offer letters until the conclusion of the check whereas others move forward with the check pending.
- Your Employment Specialist will alert the department should an employment barrier exist.
Fees are subject to change. The current fee is $24.75 per background check and will be charged to the hiring department's index. The background check page includes:
- Social Security Number search
- County criminal records search (conducted in all counties of residence in the past 7 years)
- National criminal file search (covers more than 375 million criminal, sex offender, and violation records; includes verification of hits)
- National sex offender databases search