Latest about COVID-19 and W&M's Path Forward.

Info for... William & Mary
William & Mary W&M menu close William & Mary

Applying for a Social Security Number (SSN)

Social Security Numbers
SSN Requirement

Employees at W&M and VIMS must have a Social Security Number (SSN) to be entered into the Payroll system. If an employee does not have an SSN, the employee must apply in person at the Social Security Office. See Social Security Numbers for details on the SSN application process.

The employee may legally begin work without an SSN but will not receive a paycheck until the employee has one. This information has been verified with W&M Human Resources.

Applying for an SSN
  • The employee must have been in the US for at least 3 days after any international travel. This is so the government database has time to update.
  • New employees on J1 or F1 visas must have had their SEVIS record registered by the Reves Center prior to applying for an SSN. To do that, they must complete the Immigration Check In in iStart. 
    • New employees on H1B, O1, TN, E3 visas do not have a SEVIS record that needs to be registered. Employees on OPT work authorization already had their SEVIS record registered.Thus, this does not apply.
  • F-1 students will need an SSN Letter of Employment (doc) to be completed by the hiring department. Complete and sign this letter and give it to the student.
    • The student must scan and upload the signed letter in iStart. The Reves Center will then issue a companion DSO letter for the student.
    • With the two letters and visa documents, the student can apply for an SSN at the Social Security Office.
  • J-1 students must request a letter from the Reves Center.
  • Employees in most other visas types do not need a special letter of employment to apply, but must be authorized for employment in the U.S. 
  • SSNs typically take 10-14 days to arrive. If the process is taking longer, contact [[ehbailey, Emily Bailey]] for assistance.
Working Without an SSN
  • The employee may legally begin work without an SSN (provided that they have already applied for an SSN and the I-9 has been completed) but will not receive a paycheck until the employee has one. This information has been verified with W&M Human Resources. 
  • Once the SSN arrives, then the employee can be paid for the time that they worked before the SSN arrived.
  • SSN questions? Contact the Reves Center.