Love William & Mary? Want to welcome new international students to the university? The
As an International Peer Leader, you will:
- Assist William & Mary’s newest international students as they transition to life in the US
- Serve as a Peer Leader for a group of new graduate or undergraduate international students by providing pre-arrival support and mentoring
- Stay in touch with students in your group via virtual platforms (e.g., email, text, video) before they arrive and answer their questions about life at William & Mary
- Check-in with your group of students at least 3 times (via email or other forms of communication) during the Fall 2021 semester
Note: International Student Orientation is tentatively slated to be offered in a hybrid format, where required sessions will be offered multiple times in a virtual format with optional in-person activities. There may be opportunities for interested Peer Leaders to assist with the in-person activities. These opportunities will be advertised to Peer Leaders during the summer.
Why become an International Peer Leader? Share in these benefits:
- Leadership: Enhance your advising and leadership experience
- Global/Intercultural Fluency: Develop intercultural competencies through working with a diverse student population.
- Teamwork & Collaboration: Gain skills to build collaborative relationships with students. Strengthen ability to work with diverse populations.
- Critical Thinking/Problem Solving: Opportunities to analyze issues, make decisions, and overcome problems.
International Peer Leaders must be:
- Able to work comfortably with a diverse group of students
- Professional and enthusiastic
- An ambassador for W&M (e.g., knowledgeable and excited about W&M; serve as a role model to the students)
- Available to serve as Peer Leaders over the summer
Application Timeline & Calendar for Fall 2021
|Monday, April 5|
|Friday, April 16 at 5pm, EST||Peer Leader Applications Due|
|Wednesday, April 21||Peer Leader Decision Notifications|
|Friday, April 23, 5pm EST||Peer Leader Acceptance Due|
|Peer Leader Virtual Training (will be recorded)|
|End of May-August||Communicate with and provide pre-arrival support to a group of incoming international students|
|Fall 2021 semester||Check-in at least 3 times with your students|
Thank you for your interest in serving as an International Peer Leader! Questions? Please contact Eva Wong