New Student Guide
Welcome to W&M!
International Student Orientation is required for new W&M F-1 & J-1 international students and is designed to make your transition to campus as smooth and successful as possible. Our program includes:
- Information and resources that are important to international students such as immigration regulations, academic expectations, campus safety, etc.
- “Life in the US” activities such as help with move-in, shopping trips, opening a bank account, etc.
- Events for family members
- Social and fun activities to meet other students and learn about campus and Williamsburg
Fall 2018 Orientation Schedule
International Orientation has been scheduled for the following dates. Complete schedules will be available in early August.
Graduate International Orientation: August 18-19, 2018
- You must enter the US by August 18
- August 18: Welcome Activities (optional)
- August 19: Orientation Sessions (required)
Undergraduate International Orientation: August 21-23, 2018
- You must enter the US by August 21
- August 21: Check-in and Residential Hall move-in
- August 22: "Life in the US" activities (e.g., shopping trips), social activities, Welcome Party (family members are also invited), etc.
- August 23: Orientation sessions, international family reception, etc.
Prepare for your arrival by completing the Pre-Arrival Checklist to access information about housing, transportation to W&M, health insurance, etc.
- Login to iStart, using your W&M ID and password
- Click on Pre-Arrival in the menu on the left-hand side of the page
- Click on Pre-Arrival Checklist and complete each form
Our New International Students website and the New Student Guide (pdf) are also great resources for students.
Orientation Requirements and non F-1 & J-1 Applicants
- All new international students with F-1 or J-1 immigration status are required to attend International Student Orientation, including exchange students and students transferring to W&M from other US schools.
- International Student Orientation is one part of your larger orientation program. There is also a required orientation for all new undergraduates. Graduate students also have orientations with their departments.
- Students who are not in F-1 or J-1 immigration status (e.g., US citizen who lived abroad) but are interested in attending International Student Orientation can contact [[w|ywong,Eva Wong]] for more information.
Questions? Contact [[w|ywong,Eva Wong]]. We look forward to welcoming you to W&M!