Welcome to W&M!
International Student Orientation is required for new W&M F-1 & J-1 international students and is designed to make your transition to campus as smooth and successful as possible. Our program includes:
- Information and resources that are important to international students such as immigration regulations, academic expectations, campus safety, etc.
- “Life in the US” activities such as help with move-in, shopping trips, opening a bank account, etc.
- Events for family members
- Social and fun activities to meet other students and learn about campus and Williamsburg
Fall 2019 Orientation Schedule
Mark your calendars for international orientation! Detailed schedules will be available in early August.
Graduate International Orientation
- August 16: Welcome activities (optional)
- August 17: Graduate International Orientation Program (required)
Undergraduate International Orientation
- August 20: Check-in and Residential Hall move-in (incoming internationals students have an earlier move-in date)
- August 21: "Life in the US" activities (e.g., shopping trips, cell phone), social activities, Welcome Party (family members are also invited), etc.
- August 22: Orientation sessions, International Family Programs, etc.
- New undergraduate students will then join the New Student Orientation from August 23-27.
Prepare for your arrival by completing the Pre-Arrival Checklist to access information about housing, transportation to W&M, health insurance, etc.
- Login to iStart, using your W&M ID and password
- Click on Pre-Arrival in the menu on the left-hand side of the page
- Click on Pre-Arrival Checklist and complete each form
Our New International Students website and the New Student Guide (pdf) are also great resources for students.
Connect with Current W&M Students
The Virtual Conversation Partner Program (VCPP) matches new international students with current W&M students for English conversation practice and cross-cultural exchange. Students communicate via video chat before the school year begins.
Orientation Requirements and non F-1 & J-1 Applicants
- All new international students with F-1 or J-1 immigration status are required to attend International Student Orientation, including exchange students and students transferring to W&M from other US schools.
- International Student Orientation is one part of your larger orientation program. There is also a required orientation for all new undergraduates. Graduate students also have orientations with their departments.
- Students who are not in F-1 or J-1 immigration status (e.g., US citizen who lived abroad) but are interested in attending International Student Orientation can contact [[ywong,Eva Wong]] for more information.
After you arrive in the US, you must complete your immigration check-in. Please complete it within 1 week of your arrival. If you are not yet in the US, wait to complete it when you arrive. If you have difficulty, contact the Reves Center for help.
- Login to iStart, using your William & Mary login.
- Select Pre-Arrival from the left menu
- Select Pre-Arrival Checklist and complete the Check-In and Immigration Responsibilities forms.
Questions? Contact [[w|ywong,Eva Wong]]. We look forward to welcoming you to W&M!