Resources for... William & Mary
William & Mary W&M menu close William & Mary

J-1 Scholar Categories

At William & Mary and VIMS, we have the ability to sponsor several categories within J-1 status that may be useful for bringing your scholar to campus.

J-1 Short-Term Scholar
  • For an individual who comes to the university for short-term academic exchange for the purpose of lecturing, consulting, or research
  • Limited to 6 months or less. If there is a possibility that their time at at W&M or VIMS will be extended to be longer than 6 months, we do not recommend this category. 
  • Bachelor’s degree required
J-1 Research Scholar or Professor
  • For an individual who comes to the university for academic exchange for the purpose of lecturing, consulting, or research. These categories are similar; the professor category should be selected if the scholar will be doing more lecturing than research, and the research scholar category if the reverse is true.
  • Bachelor’s degree required
  • Can be extended for up to 5 years
  • If a scholar has recently been in the US in J status (J-1 or J-2), they may be barred from being in this category for 1 year. There are some exceptions, but please call to discuss.
  • Once a scholar participates in this category, there will be a 2 year bar on coming to the US in both the J-1 research scholar and J-1 professor categories. This bar will also apply to any dependents the scholar has, who come in J-2 status.
J-1 Student Intern
  • If their stay at W&M or VIMS is less focused on doing research, and more like an internship, this category would be more appropriate.
  • Open to current undergraduate and graduate students
  • Limited to stays of 1 year or less.
  • Program activities must be at least 32 hours per week
  • An initial training plan must be completed (the DS-7002) by the faculty sponsor. The intern will also need to have both a midpoint and closing evaluation.
  • All sites where the intern completes their work must be certified by ISSP in advance.
  • This category has additional restrictions, including ensuring that the intern is doing clerical work no more than 20% of the time, that they’re being exposed to US techniques/ways of doing things, and making sure that they’re not replacing a US worker, and that they’re learning something new. For more information, please contact ISSP.
J-1 Specialist
  • Limited to stays of 1 year or less.

Questions, or want to discuss which category best applies to your situation? Contact Emily Bailey at the Office of International Students, Scholars & Programs (ISSP).