Most of the forms linked below are provided as "fillable" pdfs. For best results, we recommend you download the pdf, enter text in the fillable fields.
Form Type: For pdf forms, please email your completed form to [[academicaffairs]] unless the form instructions direct you to another email address. For DocuSign forms, you will receive a final copy of the form through email from DocuSign once all of the required signatures have been collected.
Signatures: Emailed pdf forms still need signatures. Use Adobe Acrobat to complete the form, and follow instructions under the "Sign a PDF/Steps to Sign a PDF" on the Adobe site. If multiple signatures are needed, be sure to select the"multiple signers" option.
We recommend submitting forms as soon as possible as it can take up to 4-5 weeks for a decision.
- Change of Major Advisor [pdf] Change your major advisor.
- Change of Pre-Major Advisor [pdf] Change your pre-major advisor.
Committee on Degrees Petitions
- Policy Waiver Request - COD Petition [pdf] Ask that you be allowed to eliminate a requirement. Petition approval is generally given only in extraordinary circumstances.
- Course Substitution Request - Ask to substitute a required course with a different course.
- COD Petition [pdf] - for COLL or proficiency requirement substitutions.
- Revoke College Credits Earned before Matriculation - Revoke college credits earned in high school or a previous college if the department believes that the preparation received was inadequate to succeed in subsequent coursework. The revocation of credits renders a student ineligible to receive GI Bill benefits.
- COD Petition [pdf] - For continuing students (second semester freshmen on up).
- Qualtrics Request Form - For students starting at W&M in Fall 2022.
- Change Course Grading Basis - COD Petition [pdf] Change the grading basis for a course (to Pass/Fail, to Audit, to standard letter grade). Submit before the course withdrawal deadline.
- Academic Planner [pdf] Plan which courses to take when, so that you fulfill all requirements and graduate on your schedule.
- Audit a Course [pdf] Credits for audited courses do not count toward the 12 credit minimum.
- Internship for Academic Credit [DocuSign] To qualify, internships must be supervised by a faculty member and include a hands-on project and written report.
- Permission to Pre-register for 17-18 Credits [pdf] If you are within 2 semesters of graduating and require 33 or more credit hours to graduate.
- Change Scheduled Examination [DocuSign] If one of your exam times conflicts with another, or you have 3 scheduled exams in 4 consecutive exam periods, or you want to take your exam with another section of the same course taught by the same instructor.
- Enroll in Graduate-level (outside of A&S) Course for Undergraduate Credit [pdf] (Use this form if the course you want to take is in the School of Business, Education, Law, or Marine Science.) If you have a GPA of at least 2.5 overall and 3.0 in the course's subject field, have taken the prerequisites, and the course is relevant to your program.
- Enroll in Graduate-level A&S Course for Undergraduate Credit [DocuSign] (Use this form if the course you want to take is in Arts & Sciences.) If you have a GPA of at least 2.5 overall and 3.0 in the course's subject field, have taken the prerequisites, and the course is relevant to your program.
- Enroll in Graduate-level Course for Graduate Credit [pdf] If you have a GPA of at least 3.0 overall, you may take up to 6 hours of graduate-level courses for graduate-level credit during your senior year. These hours must be in excess of all requirements for the bachelor's degree.
Majors and Minors
- Declaration of Academic Major Form [pdf] Declare or change your major.
- Declaration of Academic Minor Form [pdf] Declare a minor.
- Interdisciplinary Program Forms Additional forms might be required when you declare an interdisciplinary major or minor. Check the program's site for details.
- Major or minor Course Substitution Request Form [pdf] Replace a course required for your major or minor with a different one. Return to the Registrar's Office.
- Grade Review Procedures If you think a final grade has been assigned unfairly, you may request a review.
- Grade Completion/Correction Form [pdf] Faculty instructors use this form to change a grade or to turn an incomplete into a grade.
- Notice of Candidacy [pdf] To graduate!
Test & Transfer Credits
- Transfer & Test Credit Information The Registrar's Office information hub of all transfer credit information.
- Permission to Transfer Credit from Another Institution Form [Qualtrics] Seek credit for courses completed at domestic institutions.