Inside Out Theatre
Inside Out Theatre is a performance ensemble of students who bring the diverse experiences of William & Mary students to the stage through theatre, dance, and spoken word.
As new students begin to experience the Tribe Community during orientation, Inside Out Theatre introduces the rich range of experiences, voices and stories within the William & Mary family. Using poems and short monologues written by William & Mary students along with selections from published works, "One Tribe, Many Stories" inspires new students to know that there is a place for them in our community. This performance empowers students to share their stories so that others may feel empowered and welcomed. We also challenges them to engage and learn from the many stories, experiences and perspectives they will encounter as a member of the Tribe.
Throughout the year, our Inside Out Theatre troupe will be creating, polishing, and performing new works. Students will work with the Associate Director and develop skills in storytelling, acting, improvisation, spoken word, and vocal empowerment. The Inside Out Theatre troupe will work with innovative and exciting techniques to tell the stories of marginalized people and challenge norms and expectations.
Returning students can submit their work to be part of "One Tribe, Many Stories" and all students can apply to be part of the Inside Out Theatre cast.
Student Employment & Internships
The Center for Student Diversity employs several undergraduate students each year as part of our team. Each position offers 8 to 10 hours of employment per week during the academic semester when classes are in session.
Overview of Positions
Responsibilities as a CSD Student Employee
- Attend staff retreats (1 per semester)
- Meet weekly with the Associate Director to set out a plan for the week as well as discuss upcoming events and special projects
- Greet guest of the CSD
- Work CSD events (as needed)
- Attend events and/or meetings on behalf of the CSD.
- Become an advocate for the CSD on campus
- Assist the CSD in the development and implementation of programming
- Other administrative duties or special projects as assigned.
- Assist with answering telephones, faxing, filing correspondence, and running errands.
- Maintain the CSD bulletin boards
- Manage the CSD website
- Manage the CSD Tribelink pag
- Develop fliers and program booklet
- Assist with President’s Council
- Monthly collaborations
- Community service projects
- Manage event calendar
- Manage the CSD Social Media accounts
- Create event fliers
- Monthly tabling at Sadler
- Coordinate monthly CSD discussion
- Chat & Chew
- Diverse Scholars Series
- Preparing for Life as a University Student (PLUS)
- Plan PLUS meet-ups (resource sessions, study breaks, study sessions, etc.)
- Work with PLUS mentors
Graphic Designer & Social Media Manager
- Collaborate with CSD staff to develop infographs, animations, and designs for training materials and social media
- Assist with the marketing plan for CSD signature events and programs.
- Meet weekly with the Assistant Director to set out a plan for the week as well as discuss upcoming events. (There will also be independent work hours to post and collect content).
- Set Office Hour(s) for design consult with staff and to work on fliers in office.
- Administrate the creation and publishing of relevant, original, high-quality content.
- Develop and implement a social media marketing plan.
- Manage social media marketing campaigns and day-to-day activities including:
- Develop relevant content topics to reach the students.
- Monitor, listen and respond to users in a “Social” way.
- Develop and expand community and/or influencer outreach efforts.
- Oversee design (ie: Facebook Timeline cover, profile pic, thumbnails, Twitter profile, Instagram, etc.).
- Manage promotions and Social campaigns.
- Become an advocate for the CSD in social media spaces, engaging in dialogues and answering questions where appropriate.
- Manage the weekly Diversity Happenings newsletter
Inside Out Theatre Coordinator
- Provide coaching and mentoring to the Inside Out Theatre troupe.
- Assist with content development for upcoming performances.
- Assist the Center for Student Diversity in the development and implementation of programming for marginalized students.
- Assist with administrative functions including: scheduling, publicity, and gathering/analyzing evaluation data of the program.
- Assist in the recruitment of new performers and performance pieces.
- Create the agenda for weekly meetings and select warm up activities.
- Meet with the Associate Director weekly with updates and to coordinate planning.
- Other duties as assigned.
Questions may be directed to [[svowens, Shené V. Owens]], Associate Director.
The Peer Educator Program is an opportunity for students to develop facilitation and conflict resolution skills while becoming more culturally competent. Peer Educators work alongside Center for Student Diversity staff to develop and implement training opportunities for the William & Mary community.
Peer Educators Co-Facilitate all Extended First-Year Initiative Tribe Unity sessions each Fall in collaboration with the First-Year Experience office. Throughout the year, they are responsible for ongoing student trainings which currently include Allyship and Diversity 101. Sessions will be expanded over the next four years to include identity specific trainings as they are developed. They are also available to serve on panels for ongoing trainings for students, faculty and staff.
- Impact campus climate by enhancing cultural competence at William & Mary.
- Increase the retention of marginalized faculty/staff/and students by creating a more welcoming environment.
- Prepare students for global citizenship.
Student Coordinator & Board Members:
- Develop leadership and facilitation skills.
- Establish individual processes for decision making.
- Cultivate facilitation and conflict mediation skills.
- Increase overall cultural competence.
- Increase overall cultural competence.
- Engage critical thinking skills and learn how to apply them to diversity
- Develop a toolkit for creating more welcoming environments.