Close menu Resources for... William & Mary
W&M menu close William & Mary


The University Registrar's Office provides official verification of a student's record at the university. The most common verifications are enrollment—certify that an individual is or was a student during a particular period—and degree—confirm that an individual received a degree. We also provide other types of verification and most require the written consent of the student/alum in order to comply with FERPA and protect the confidentiality of a student's record. 

order a free Enrollment Verification
I need this "certified" ... what does that mean?

At the College, we provide two primary types of "certified" verifications. One is a notarized copy of a document–typically an official transcript. The other, and most common request, is for use with agencies outside the United States. In this case, you need to request apostille certification of the document

This latter format requires notarization and verification at the local, and state levels. In rare circumstances, it also may require federal certification—U.S. State Department. If you have any questions about the type of verification you may need, please contact the agency making the request to ensure the proper verification is provided.

As always, please feel free to contact us if we can provide any assistance.

Other Resources

Other offices on campus also provide verification of information. These include, but are not limited to: