Our Education Programs aim to promote and develop tutoring and mentoring relationships between William & Mary students and students from the local community. In a typical year, over 250 university students are active in education-related activities through our office, while countless more are involved through a variety of other student-run organizations. Through partnerships with local schools and neighborhoods, students from the College serve as tutors and mentors in an effort to improve the academic achievement and personal development of local students. With dozens of van trips to schools and communities each week, we are proud to offset our carbon emissions in recognition of the environmental impact of our travel.
As William & Mary students engage with the Williamsburg community, they gain a deeper understanding of educational issues and challenges that allows them to expand their understanding of the root causes of community challenges and increase their overall impact within the community.
Volunteer or Big
- Benefits for student: Students receive on-going tutoring/mentoring training and develop relationships with local youth. In addition, they learn about education equity through issue education, direct service, and reflection.
- Benefits for community: School and community partners are better able to support their students’ academic, personal, and social development.
Team Lead / School Coordinator or Site Coordinator
- Benefits for student: Through training and practice, tutor/site coordinators learn how to develop and sustain mutually beneficial partnerships and coordinate groups of their peers.
- Benefits for community: School and community partners work directly with School and Site Coordinators to develop mutually beneficial partnerships. In addition, school partners benefit from well-organized, committed, reliable teams of tutors/mentors.
Executive Board or Director Team
- Benefits for student: Executive Board members and Directors gain leadership experience and advising. They develop and implement program initiatives, campus-wide engagement, recruitment plans, and programming.
- Benefits for community: School and community partners benefit from participants who are well-trained, informed on education equity, committed, and reliable.
Check out the infographic below, provided by Williamsburg-James City County Public Schools, for a snapshot r of our local schools during the 2017-2018 School Year, then visit the links on the left side bar for more information on our programs.
View a PDF of this infographic