Custodial FAQs

What is considered an emergency?  How do I get emergency cleanup service after hours?

  • Bodily fluids in common areas
  • Broken glass from windows or doors
  • Large scale water or liquid cleanups
  • Storm damage where the protective envelope of the space has been broken or penetrated.

After hours (after 4:30 p.m., M-F and weekends) call 221-2270 and identify the problem.  Facilities Management staff working on campus will contact the duty supervisor on call.

What days and hours are custodial services provided?

  • Custodial service is provided to academic and administrative areas from 5:00 a.m. - 2 p.m., Monday through Friday.
  • Custodial service in residence halls is provided from 7:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
  • Some areas of campus are cleaned during the evening hours, although we have limited staff after 4:00 p.m.  Evening shift custodial support takes place from 2:00 - 10:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.

Are custodial services provided on weekends and holidays?

Only by work order.  You will be asked to provide a billing index for any custodial support request for a weekend or holiday.

Will I be charged for event support or additional services?

  • If you're hosting a special event in your building, please make sure you request custodial support.  Event support outside of normal business hours (7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., M-F) will be charged to your index.  Clean up following an event where custodial service was not scheduled is still considered event support.
  • If you are requesting cleaning services over and above our normal level of service or outside normal business hours, you will be asked to provide a billing index at the time you submit your work request.  Please refer to our Tasks & Frequencies for a comprehensive list of the cleaning services we provide.

How do I schedule custodial services for a special event?

Call Work Control at 221-2270 and submit a work request.  The request should include the name of the contact person, event date and time, and other specific details pertinent to the event.  All requests are to be submitted at least 5 working days in advance so that all parties involved can be contacted to review the event and coordinate support.  It is the customer's responsibility to secure the space needed for the function.

Note: If you need a cost estimate, please indicate on the work request.

If I remove all personal and work-related items from my desk/counter/table will it be cleaned?


How do I have an empty office cleaned?

Submit a work request through Work Control at 221-2270.  Please let us know at least 5 working days in advance of when the office will be reoccupied to allow for a thorough cleaning.

Why does the custodian working in my area/building change so often?

Custodial staff are not permanently assigned to one building or area.  In order to meet the business needs of the department, we must have a fluid, fully cross-trained staff capable of working anywhere on campus at any time.  Additionally, short and longer term vacancies mean staff often work outside of their regular assignments.

Do you clean windows?

Exterior window cleaning is performed by an outside vendor, currently on a three-year rotation.  Large/oversized windows, typically found in lobbies and public areas, can be scheduled on the same three year cycle.  Out-of-cycle window cleaning can be scheduled but must be billed to your department.

What should I do about bugs and other pests?

During the summer and prior to the start of the academic year, residence halls are inspected and treated several times for common pest control issues.  A Certified Pest Control Company contracted by the university is on campus once a week throughout the year.  If you have a problem with bugs or other pests, contact Work Control at 221-2270.  The exterminator will perform an inspection of your space and take the appropriate actions.  You do not need to be present for the inspection, however, it may be necessary for you to remove contents from cabinets or closets before treatment.