What Are Personal Pronouns And Why Do They Matter? My Pronouns Matters
Name Coach provides a simple and effective solution to name pronunciation: Users voice-record their names online so others can quickly learn and remember how to say them. Name Coach is now available in Blackboard as a tool within each course. Recording and playback can be done from any device with a microphone that can access Blackboard, like a laptop or smartphone.
Faculty members should record their names and remind students to record their names. Please mention the course tool and encourage its use for listening to the name pronunciation of instructors and classmates. As we strive to become a more inclusive and global university, the correct pronunciation of names is one way William & Mary can help all community members feel respected and welcomed.
Find Name Coach instructions (pdf) for everyone with a WM UserID and password.
National Center for Faculty Development & Diversity (NCFDD)
William & Mary holds an Institutional Membership with the National Center for Faculty Development and Diversity (NCFDD). This nationally recognized, independent organization provides online career development and mentoring resources for faculty, post-docs, and graduate students from over 450 colleges and universities. In addition to the resources available to you as an Institutional Member, the Center also offers professional development training, intensive mentoring programs, and support needed to succeed in the academy.
We encourage you to take full advantage of the resources available through the NCFDD. Please visit Faculty Affairs & Development for more details.
National Association of Diversity Officers in Higher Education (NADOHE)
For more information about CDO Standards of Performance, please visit their website.
- Whistling Vivaldi by Dr. Claude Steele
- Blind Spot: Hidden Biases of Good People by Mahaznn Banaji, Anthony Greewald
- The New Jim Crow by Michelle Alexander
- Presumed Incompetent: The Intersections of Race and Class for Women in Academia edited by Gabriella Gutierrez y Muhs, Yolanda Flores Niemann, Carmen G. Gonzalez, Angela P. Harris
- The Music Lesson: A Spiritual Search for Growth Through Music by Victor Wooten
Inclusive Leader Insights
- Inclusive Leader Insights #1 (pdf)
- Inclusive Leader Insights #2 (pdf)
- Inclusive Leader Insights #3 (pdf)
- Inclusive Leader Insights #4 (pdf)
- Inclusive Leader Insights #5 (pdf)
- Inclusive Leader Insights #6 (pdf)
- Inclusive Leader Insights #7 (pdf)
- Inclusive Leader Insights #8 (pdf)
- Inclusive Leader Insights #9 (pdf)
Please click on the individual link to find out more about the group.
Gender & Single Occupancy Restrooms
As part of the university's efforts to provide an inclusive and respectful campus environment that is responsive to the needs of our community, at least one restroom in 90% of administration and academic buildings has been identified as All-Gender. Find a complete list.