- Provide leadership and coordination for university’s efforts to enhance diversity and implement strategic plan;
- Develop and monitor the university's Affirmative Action Plan;
- Provide leadership and coordination to departments and units across the university to facilitate the implementation of diversity strategies and actions;
- Handle official university determination regarding accommodations for employees and applicants (i.e. religion, lactation, physical or mental disabilities);
- Assist, support, and monitor all units of the university in their efforts to recruit, hire, develop, and retain faculty, staff, and students from historically underrepresented groups;
- Coordinate educational training programs to foster a climate of respect and civility for all members of the campus community;
- Provide training for executive and instructional faculty search committees; and
- Support University Affinity Groups (Women’s Network, EqualityWM, The Forum, Staff Assembly, Professional and Professional Faculty Assembly).
The Office of Diversity & Inclusion offers grants for innovative and creative projects. IDEA is an acronym for Innovative Diversity Efforts Awards. Grants are funded based on project reach and impact. At least three projects will be selected per year. Faculty, staff, students, and organizations across campus are eligible to apply for the grants. Grant awards typically range from $500–$1,500. The deadline to apply for the 2018 grant is October 22, 2018 by 5:00pm. The grants are made possible by the Diversity Endowment. To contribute to this endowment, please contact the Development Office.
All campus community members may nominate a colleague to be recognized for a program or diversity-related work that furthers diversity initiatives at the university in the pursuit of inclusive excellence. At the conclusion of the academic year, a reception is held to honor all recipients.
A publication that highlights diversity initiatives on campus. To submit information, please email Leah Washington at [[mlwashington]].