The Student Health Center physicians and nurse practitioners provide a full range of primary care services. If specialized care is required, the staff will provide you with a referral for outside care in and around the Williamsburg community. We will also assist you in completing the necessary paperwork so that you may receive the highest level of coverage available from your private or school-sponsored health insurance plan.
Student Insurance Plan
The William & Mary-sponsored Student Insurance Plan REQUIRES students to use the resources of the Student Health Center (SHC) first, where treatment will be administered or a referral issued. To obtain a referral call the SHC at (757) 221-2998 to schedule an appointment with a provider. Medical treatment obtained from outside the SHC for which no prior approval or referral is obtained will be excluded from coverage. A SHC Referral is NOT necessary only under the following conditions:
- Medical Emergency. The student MUST return to the SHC for necessary follow-up care.
- When the SHC is closed.
- When service is rendered at another facility during a school break or vacation period (the school is closed).
- Medical care received when the student is more than 10 miles from campus.
- Medical care is obtained when a student is no longer able to use the SHC due to a change in student status (part-time, continuous enrollment or graduated).
- Maternity, obstetrical and gynecological care.
- Mental Illness treatment and Substance Use Disorder treatment, psychotherapy.
Dependents are NOT eligible to use the Student Health Center (SHC) and therefore are exempt from the SHC Referral Requirement. This applies to Students only and Outpatient Services only.
Please note that the referral is only valid for one policy year (08/01-07/31) and only for the condition for which the referral was originally written. If you have any questions or are in doubt about whether or not you should obtain a referral, please contact the [[student.insurance, Student Insurance Coordinator]] by email or phone at (757) 221-2978.
Many insurance policies such as managed care or HMO's require the patient to obtain a referral from their primary care physician PRIOR to being evaluated or treated by a specialist. It is the patient's responsibility to know if your health insurance plan requires you to obtain such a referral. It is important to note that in some cases a Student Health Center referral may not be sufficient if your health plan requires you to obtain a referral from your designated primary care provider as a condition of payment. Check with your insurance company to ensure that you comply with your policy provisions.