Close menu Resources for... William & Mary
W&M menu close William & Mary

Reporting as a Student

Raise Concerns, File Complaints, Get Help and Make Reports

Contact Police Now

Single column table used to present a collapsible list of reporting options. Additional sub-tables within.
General Concern About a Student (Care Concern)

The Dean of Students Office provides students with outreach, advocacy and support services when they face significant challenges to their mental, physical and social health. Use the university's Care Concern form if you have a concern about a student that you would like to share with us.

File a Care Concern

Sexual Misconduct/Title IX

For reporting sex- or gender-based discrimination, including sexual harassment and sexual misconduct (sexual assault, relationship violence, stalking and sexual exploitation). Sex- or gender-based bias incidents, such as harassment of someone based on their gender identity, may also reported using these mechanisms.

There are many ways to report ranging from in-person reports, anonymous reports, reports to law enforcement, to reports to confidential resources for support services only. The Title IX office reviews all reports submitted regardless of when the incident occurred. Additional sexual violence resources and information about Title IX Complaints & Reports are available.

 File a Title IX Report

The Department of Education's Office for Civil Rights enforces Title IX on behalf of the United States Government. You may contact the Office of Civil Rights at:

Washington DC (Metro)
Office for Civil Rights
U.S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue, SW
Washington, D.C. 20202-1475
Telephone: 202-453-6020
FAX: 202-453-6021; TDD: 800-877-8339

Submit a Complaint to OCR via Electronic Form

Crimes, Acts of Violence and Threats; Self-Disclosure of Arrests and Court Processes

Potential criminal actions, acts of violence and threats on campus can be reported directly to the William & Mary Police Department.

Report a Crime, threat or act of violence

Students are required to disclose all felony arrests and other arrests involving violence or the threat of violence within 72 hours of the incident regardless of where it occurs. "Arrests" include any action by court summons, citation, detention or other similar process.

Additional information is available from the Dean of Students Office.

Submit Arrest Disclosure

Honor Code and Student Conduct Violations

Report concerns regarding possible violations of our Student Code of Conduct or Honor Code. Refer to the Honor Code Report Process for information regarding proper honor code reporting procedures.

The Student Conduct and Honor programs serve to maintain the university community's values and behavioral expectations of its students. The Honor Code encourages any member of the W&M community to report (after confronting the student in question) lying, cheating and stealing by a W&M student for investigation and resolution.

Violations of the Student Code of Conduct may be reported to Community Values & Restorative Practices. Note that a special process exists for reporting sexual harassment and other sexual misconduct.

Report a Student Honor or Conduct Violation

Undergraduate students self-reporting to the Honor Council after being informed that they have been accused of an honor violation should contact the Undergraduate Honor Council Chair. Completing the form is not an admission of violation, but rather an indication that you are making yourself available to commence the process.

Discrimination, Harassment and Retaliation

William & Mary does not tolerate discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, sex, disability, religion, national origin or ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other irrelevant personal factor. The Office of Compliance & Equity encourages community members to report conduct that is discriminatory or harassing and based on irrelevant factors. Concerns about conduct reflecting bias may be reported to assist the university in preventing a hostile environment from developing. The university's Whistleblower Policy protects any student or employee submitting a complaint in good faith, or from participating in a compliance investigation in good faith.

Report a Concern via Email

Hate crimes are prohibited by W&M policy and law and should be reported to the William & Mary Police Department.

Report a Crime, threat or act of violence

Faculty Misconduct

For reports of discrimination, harassment or sexual misconduct, see the Discrimination, Harassment and Retaliation section above. Other misconduct by a faculty member should be submitted to the appropriate Administrative Officer (program director, chair and/or Dean to whom the faculty member reports; or the Provost). The procedures used to address reports of faculty research or other misconduct are outlined in the Faculty Handbook, specifically Section III. F.


For reporting, including anonymous reporting, of possible acts of hazing. Reports are handled by Community Values & Restorative Practices.

Report Hazing
Free Speech Concerns

Under § 23.1-401.1 of the Code of Virginia, no public institution of higher education shall abridge the constitutional freedom of any individual, including enrolled students, faculty and other employees, and invited guests, to speak on campus, except as otherwise permitted by the First Amendment to the United States Constitution.

This protection is confirmed in William & Mary's Statement of Rights and Responsibilities.

Report disruption of constitutionally protected speech
Appeals of University Decisions or Actions
Single column table within another table, used to present a collapsible list of report options and appeals.
Academic Suspension Appeals

For students placed on academic suspension to appeal the decision made. Note suspensions for conduct or honor violations have separate appeals processes. Appeals are made to the Committee on Academic Status. The various schools offer brief processes for students to appeal academic decisions and ask for exceptions and waivers. Many of these are described in the course catalogs.

Petition the Committee on Academic Status
ADA/Rehabilitation Act Appeals and Grievances

For students to seek review of a determination by Student Accessibility Services regarding a disability accommodation request or make a complaint regarding disability discrimination. The process is governed by the ADA/Rehabilitation Act Appeal/Grievance Procedure (pdf).

Contact the ADA Coordinator

Athletics Financial Aid

For students to appeal reduction, cancellation or non-renewal of athletic-related financial aid, in accordance with NCAA requirements. The process is governed by the Athletics Financial Aid Hearing Policy and Procedure (pdf).

Contact Athletics Compliance

Grade Appeals/Reviews

Procedures for students to appeal/request a review of a grade. Each school maintains its own appeal/review process:

Parking Citation Appeals

Procedure for members of the campus community to appeal parking citations issued by W&M Parking Services. Appeals are reviewed by the Parking Appeals Committee.

Appeal a Parking Citation
Residential (Dorm) Charges Appeals

Procedure for residents of W&M-provided student housing to dispute damage billings made including deductions from security (Room Damage) deposits. Residence Life provides information on the Damage Policy and Procedure.

Appeals should be submitted to the Area Director for the building in which the alleged damage occurred or the Assistant Director for Fraternity & Sorority Housing.

Virginia Domicile Appeals (In-State Tuition)

For students to appeal domicile decisions made by the University Registrar's Office. Per the Domicile Appeal Review Process (pdf), to appeal the initial determination of your domicile status, please submit a written appeal with documentation to the University Registrar's Office within 10 business days of your denial notification.

Contact the Domicile Officer

Written Student Complaints

Do not use the link below for reporting incidents involving sexual misconduct/Title IX, discrimination/harassment/retaliation, free speech or hazing. For those types of complaints, use the appropriate links elsewhere on this page.

For all other issues for which students wish to file a formal, written complaint, complete the form linked below. Complaints received via this form are logged and triaged to units or appropriate individuals to address and resolve. While your name and contact information is required to complete the form, requests for anonymity are maintained such that only the Office of Compliance & Equity will be aware of the identity of the individual submitting the complaint.

File a Written Complaint

Online and Out of State Learning Complaints

William & Mary has been approved to participate in the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (NC-SARA). Students who reside outside of Virginia but in another SARA state while taking courses at William & Mary may file complaints with the Virginia SARA portal entity, SCHEV. See “Filing Complaints with the State Council of Higher Education for Virginia (SCHEV)” above.

W&M students engaged in learning outside Virginia with complaints not resolved through all applicable university and state processes may file complaints with the state in which they reside, using information provided by NC-SARA’s Student Complaint Information by State webpage.

External Processes
Single column table within another table, used to present a collapsible list of report options, external
Accreditation Complaints

The College of William & Mary in Virginia is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) to award bachelor's, master's, education specialist and doctoral degrees. William & Mary also may offer credentials such as certificates and diplomas at approved degree levels. Questions about the accreditation of William & Mary may be directed in writing to the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, GA 30033-4097, by calling 404-679-4500, or by using information available on the SACSCOC website (

FERPA Complaints

Students may file complaints with the U.S. Department of Education, which, through the Family Policy Compliance Office, enforces the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), which ensures student access to their records and university obligations to protect the confidentiality of such records. The University Registrar's Office provides a Student Records Privacy Policy and Notification of Rights under FERPA.

File a Complaint with the Department of Education

Fraud Complaints

The Attorney General of Virginia enforces consumer protection laws. The Consumer Protection Section of the Attorney General's Office serves as a clearinghouse for consumer complaints. See also State Fraud, Waste and Abuse Hotline.

File a Consumer Protection Complaint

SCHEV Procedure for Complaints Against the University

If an issue cannot be resolved by the university’s internal processes, students may file a complaint with the State Council of Higher Education for Virginia (SCHEV). SCHEV’s Student Complaints website states:

“If a student has exhausted the avenues provided by the institution and the complaint has not been resolved internally, the student can submit a “Student Complaint Form” to SCHEV. Upon receiving a completed form, SCHEV will open an investigation if the matter being disputed falls within its authority. If preliminary findings indicate a violation of SCHEV regulations by the institution, SCHEV shall attempt to resolve the complaint through mediation. All parties will be notified in writing of the outcome of the investigation.

Please note that SCHEV has no authority or role regarding issues of employment law, claims of discrimination or instances of suspected consumer fraud. Such complaints should be directed to the appropriate state or federal agency.”

Student complaints to SCHEV can be filed using the procedures published in the “Complaint Process” section of SCHEV’s Student Complaints website.

State Fraud, Waste and Abuse Hotline

Anonymous reporting of "significant instances of fraud, waste and abuse…illegal or fraudulent conduct, waste of funds, abuse of state property or resources, gross mismanagement or gross neglect of duties… not for general complaints, suggestions or personnel issues."

The hotline is administered by the Office of the State Inspector General, coordinated on campus by Internal Audit.

Contact the State Fraud, Waste and Abuse Hotline
U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights (OCR)

The Department of Education's Office for Civil Rights enforces federal civil rights laws that prohibit discrimination in educational programs and activities, including discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age and disability. You may contact the Office of Civil Rights at:

Washington DC (Metro)
Office for Civil Rights
U.S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue, SW
Washington, D.C. 20202-1475
Telephone: 202-453-6020
FAX: 202-453-6021; TDD: 800-877-8339

Submit a Complaint to OCR via Electronic Form

The Office of Compliance & Equity will accept and assess any reports of potential misconduct or violations of the Code of Ethics or other policies. If you cannot identify the correct point of contact or reporting procedure from the options provided, please contact our office at 757-221-3146 or [[reportconcern]].