This [conference / workshop / symposium] is supported all or in part by the National Science Foundation under Award No [#####].
We are required by the (https://www.nsf.gov/publications/pub_summ.jsp?ods_key=papp) (Chapter II.E.7) effective February 25, 2019 to provide all event participants with information on the University’s policy on sexual and other forms of harassment or sexual assault as well as directions on how to report any violations of this policy. For purposes of this requirement, “other forms of harassment” is defined as “non-gender or non-sex-based harassment of individuals protected under federal civil rights laws, as set forth in organizational policies or codes of conduct, statutes, regulations or executive orders.”
William & Mary is committed to creating and maintaining a community dedicated to the advancement, application, and transmission of knowledge and creative endeavors through academic excellence, where all individuals who participate in university programs and activities can work and learn together in an atmosphere free of harassment, exploitation, or intimidation.
The university has general policies prohibiting harassment based on protected categories or disability:
- Discrimination, Harassment, and Retaliation Policy: https://www.wm.edu/offices/compliance/policies/discrimination_harassment_retaliation/policy/index.php
- Student Code of Conduct https://www.wm.edu/offices/deanofstudents/services/communityvalues/studenthandbook/student_code_of_conduct
- Reasonable Accommodation Policy https://www.wm.edu/offices/compliance/policies/employee_reasonable_accommodation/index.php
William & Mary’s Policy on Sexual Misconduct, Relationship Violence, and Stalking is specifically focused on the forms of sexual misconduct that include sexual assault, relationship violence, stalking, sexual exploitation, sexual harassment, gender-based harassment, and retaliation. The policy defines each form of prohibited conduct by William & Mary. The full text of the policy is here for reference:
- Policy on Sexual Misconduct, Relationship Violence and Stalking https://www.wm.edu/offices/compliance/policies/sexual_misconduct/policy/index.php
The policy applies to all members of the university community, including faculty and other employees and students. It also applies to contractors, vendors and other third parties who are on campus or engaged in university sponsored events. The policy outlines the university’s responsibilities and options related to reporting sexual misconduct in order to ensure an equitable and inclusive education and employment environment free of sexual violence and sexual harassment.
The university will respond promptly and effectively to reports of any type of sexual or harassing misconduct and will take appropriate action to prevent, to correct and when necessary and possible, to discipline behavior that violates W&M policy. The Employee Discrimination/Harassment/Retaliation Grievance Procedure governs the process for resolving issues where a faculty or staff member engage in alleged misconduct. For violators not affiliated with the university, the same procedure may be used in a modified version that resolves the issue promptly and efficiently. The full text of the procedure is here:
- Employee Discrimination, Harassment, and Retaliation Grievance/Compliant Procedure https://www.wm.edu/offices/compliance/policies/discrimination_harassment_retaliation/procedure/index.php
Reports of any type of discrimination, harassment, retaliation or sexual misconduct may be submitted to:
Title IX Coordinator