Resources for... William & Mary
William & Mary W&M menu close William & Mary

Studying in other Non-Immigrant Statuses

Non-immigrant Statuses that permit enrollment at a university

If you are in the U.S. in the one of the following non-immigrant statuses, you may enroll at William & Mary, on a full or part-time basis.

  • Adjustment of Status (an I-485 has been filed)
  • Asylee
  • A-1, A-2
  • Deferred Action, Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA)
  • E-1*, E-2*, E-3
  • F-2 (part time only)
  • G-1, G-2, G-3, G-4
  • H-1B*, H-1C*, H-2A*, H-2B*, H-3*, H-4
  • I*
  • J-2
  • K-1, K-2, K-3, K-4
  • L-1*, L-2
  • NATO
  • N-8, N-9
  • O-1*, O-2*, O-3
  • P-1*, P-2*, P-3*, P-4
  • Q-1*, Q-2*, Q-3
  • Refugee
  • R-1*, R-2
  • TN*, TD
  • TPS
  • T-1, T-2, T-3, T-4
  • U-1, U-2, U-3, U-4
  • V-1, V-2, V-3

*In most cases a principal alien (e.g. A-1, G-1, H-1B, L-1, TN, etc) sponsored for a non-immigrant status may engage in incidental study (i.e. they must maintain the conditions of their non-immigrant status first but study "on the side", or incidental to that primary purpose, is permitted). For example, someone in H-1B status is a principal alien. To maintain their status, they must work in the employment for which their H1B status was sponsored. They may study on the side. Principal aliens should consult their immigration attorney or advisor for details on their situation.

You must still register your immigration status with William & Mary. Once you have been admitted and paid your deposit, you will receive an email from our online system iStart. Through iStart, you will provide information about your status.

Non-immigrant Statuses that you cannot use for attending W&M

If you are in the United States in any of the following statuses, you may not study in your current status:

  • B - Visitor*
  • F-2 - Dependent of F-1*
  • M-2 - Dependent of M-1*
  • C - Transit**
  • D - Crewman**
  • WB/WT - Visitor Visa Waiver**

* Must have been approved for a change of status to a status that allows study (e.g. F-1, J-1) before start of study.
** Not eligible to change status in the U.S. Must leave U.S. and apply for a new visa.

If you will need visa sponsorship before attending William & Mary, review the immigration options available to students.