Health Insurance Information for International Scholars and Employees
Federal law requires that all persons in J-1 and J-2 status maintain adequate health insurance for the duration of their stay in the United States.
Regardless of immigration status, due to the high cost of medical care in the U.S., it is important to have health insurance coverage for oneself and any dependents.
Minimum Federal Requirements for Health Insurance for Persons in J-1 and J-2 Status
- Accident/illness coverage of at least $100,000 per incident
- Repatriation coverage of at least $25,000
- Medical evacuation coverage of at least $50,000
- Per incident deductible of not more than $500
- Any health insurance policy must also cover maternity/pregnancy.
- The policy must be underwritten by an insurance carrier with an AM Best rating of A- or above, an Insurance Solvency International, Ltd (ISI) rating of "A-I" or above, a Standard and Poor's Claims Paying Ability rating of "A-" or above, or a Weiss Research, Inc. rating of "B+" or above
Options for persons employed by William & Mary
Insurance options for William & Mary full time employees can be found on the Human Resources website. Full time employees must see Human Resources to select a plan, and request a letter confirming coverage. If you are insured under W&M employee health insurance plan, you must check to make sure it meets the minimum requirements, and must still purchase additional medical evacuation and repatriation coverage. Global Travel Plus and International SOS are two companies that offer this coverage.
Recommended insurance plan for persons not covered by William & Mary Employee Health insurance
Selecting an insurance plan can be challenging and some plans provide better coverage than other plans. It is important to have good quality health insurance plan because the cost of medical care in the US is very high.
- For stays 3 months or longer: PGH Global has plans that offer a more realistic coverage of costs associated with medical procedures, medical evacuation, and repatriation. They also have a low deductible and offers multi-lingual customer support. PGH Global is a member of a large PPO (Preferred Provider Organization) UnitedHealth, to which most of the doctors and medical centers (Sentara and Riverside) in the Williamsburg and Gloucester area belong.
To purchase and enroll in a PGH plan, go to PGH Global, and select "College of William and Mary".
2. For stays less than 3 months: Seven Corners Insurance offers short-term plans. It is a member of the MultiPlan Preferred Provider Network (PPO), to which many of the doctors, and medical centers (Sentara and Riverside) in the Williamsburg and Gloucester area belong.
We recommend that you purchase a minimum of $500,000 of coverage.
Seven Corners Insurance Plans are underwritten by the US Fire Insurance Company. Its AM Best rating is A.