Latest about COVID-19 and W&M's Path Forward.

Info for... William & Mary
William & Mary W&M menu close William & Mary


Interested in an internship for academic credit? University policy for internship credit is spelled out in the Undergraduate Catalog:

  • The internship should provide a structured learning experience.
  • The internship provides an opportunity to apply and expand knowledge under expert supervision.
  • The internship must be approved in advance.
  • Academic credit is awarded for a project that incorporates the hands-on experience of the internship, but also includes an analytic or research component and a final, written report.

What steps do you need to take to get credit for an internship in International Relations?

  • First, find an International Relations faculty member to supervise the academic component of your internship. 
  • You and your internship advisor should complete the Internship for Academic Credit form [pdf] together, get the required signatures, and submit the form to the Office of Academic Advising (located in Swem Library, Room 169).
  • The internship paperwork MUST be submitted and approved prior to leaving campus and starting the internship.
  • To receive academic credit for the internship in International Relations (INRL 498), the analytic or research-based component must address an international relations topic. This assignment will be evaluated and graded by your faculty internship supervisor.

Please note: If you are participating in a William & Mary internship-based course, such as the W&M in Washington program, you do not have to submit the Internship for Academic Credit form. Instead, you will receive internship credit and a grade as part of the program. Questions about getting the appropriate credit for these internships should be directed to the faculty member supervising your program.