Close menu Resources for... William & Mary
W&M menu close William & Mary

Minoring in Chemistry

A degree in chemistry shows that you have a good grasp of laboratory techniques and scientific thinking. However - if you can't be a chemistry major, minoring in chemistry may be the next best thing.

Natural science degrees require several courses in chemistry. For many of those students, a chemistry minor makes a lot of sense. Indeed, biology majors and pre-med students usually find that they can minor in chemistry with only 2 more courses.

Because a lot of pollution is chemical in nature, a chemistry minor can also be helpful for environmental science students, environmental policy and geology students. Neuroscience? There's a lot of chemistry happening in the brain.

The biochemistry minor is of interest to many students. But, the required courses have several prerequisites that don't count towards the degree. You may find that you don't have time for everything. A chemistry minor is often a good choice if you find yourself in this situation.

To declare a chemistry minor

  1. Complete a Declaration of Academic Minor form.
  2. Bring the form to the Chemistry Office in ISC 1039 for the department chair's signature.
  3. Take the original, signed declaration to the Registrar's Office.

An advising appointment with the department chair is not necessary but can be requested through the [[chemis, Chemistry Office]].