All content editors responsible for a portion of the university's main web presence must attend a live Basic Training session to activate their Cascade accounts.
Content editors who have not worked in Cascade recently or would like to review Basic Training are encouraged to watch the on-demand Virtual Basic Training, or register for a live Basic Training session to reinforce their understanding.
Training by Academic & Organizational Unit
Training for some academic and organizational units is provided in-house. For sites in the following units, contact your respective Cascade Manager to arrange Basic Training:
- Arts & Sciences
- Raymond A. Mason School of Business
- Virginia Institute of Marine Science
For all other sites, Basic Training is provided by University Web & Design, as detailed below.
Basic Training Schedule
In-person Cascade Basic Training takes place in the IT Classroom, Jones Hall Room 203.
Upcoming Cascade Basic Training Sessions
- Monday, June 1 | 10 a.m. to noon
- Wednesday, June 15 | 1-3 p.m.
- Thursday, June 30 | 9-11 a.m.
- Monday, July 11 | 2-4 p.m.
Due to COVID-19 restrictions, we are limited to 9 seats per session. To register, [[creative, email University Web & Design]]. Please specify which session you would like to register for.
- Introduction to the W&M web presence
- Terminology and help for Cascade and the web
- Cascade login and navigation
- Building and editing folders and pages
- Uploading and managing documents and images
- Placing links and images within content
- Placing listboxes, related links & widgets in the right column
- Publishing and deleting
- Best practices and other tips & tricks
Advanced Cascade Workshops
*Must have attended Cascade Basic Training
Looking to take a deeper dive into Cascade features like collapsible lists, listboxes, gateway pages, listing pages and more? Content specialists within University Web & Design offer workshops including live demonstrations and hands-on practice building content with any number of specific advanced features.
While we don’t schedule Advanced Cascade Workshops on a regular basis, there are two ways to get one on the calendar:
- Gather a group of six or more Cascade editors in your office or department and request a workshop by emailing [[creative]] with the specific features of interest to you.
- Fill out the workshop request form and when six or more respondents have submitted the request, you will be contacted about a date, time and location for the group workshop.
If you have any questions about Advanced Cascade Workshops, email [[creative]].
Online Help Pages
Our Cascade Help site provides you an A to Z resource on current features. We encourage you to browse, search and delve in.
Have a question? Not sure how to proceed? Just need advice? We're here to help.
Departments and offices within Arts & Sciences, Advancement and our graduate and professional schools should first contact their designated Cascade Manager for assistance. Other departments and offices, or those referred to University Web & Design by their Cascade Manager should email [[creative]] to request assistance with a specific topic. One of our experts will try to assist in a manner appropriate for the request, as time allows.