There are four main reasons why courses may be missing on your William & Mary transcript:
- Courses are under evaluation (see below)
- Supplementary materials are required for evaluation (see below)
- The final or an official transcript has not been received (see below)
- The course is not transferable (see below)
Courses Under Evaluation by Transfer Services Coordinator (TSC)
Once receiving your official transcript, the TSC looks through each course to determine how they will best transfer to W&M. Please keep in mind that hundreds of transfer courses are evaluated on an ongoing basis throughout the entire year, not only for newly admitted students, but also for current W&M students seeking to transfer courses from other institutions.
While the TSC will work diligently to have newly approved transfer credits posted to the transcript, it would not be reasonable to assume that transfer credits will be posted immediately. Between May and July, it may take 7-14 business days from receipt of your official transcript for transfer credits to appear in your Banner account.
Supplementary Materials Required
Courses of a special nature such as Honors, Special Topics courses, Interdisciplinary, Independent Study courses, and courses not previously transferred to W&M almost always require the submission of a course syllabi, tests, and other materials. Due to the nature of these courses, our staff will need more detailed course content information. If there are some courses in your account and some missing, there is a good chance supplemental materials are required. Please reach out to the TSC to verify which courses require supplemental materials.
When a course description does not have a clear equivalent, the TSC refers it to the departmental TCE. This additional review takes time, especially during the summer months. The TSC will notify you if they are sending your supplemental materials out for departmental review.
Final or Official Transcript Has Not Been Received
Whenever an entire semester of course work is missing from the W&M transcript, it is obvious that the final transcript had not been received by the time the initial transfer credit was posted. If additional credits have not appeared within one week prior to New Student Orientation, please contact your transfer institution to find out where the final transcript was sent before you contact the TSC to check on the status of your evaluation.
Course Is Not Transferable
Despite the best efforts of the TSC, there are instances when courses do not transfer to W&M. Aside from correspondence, and other non-traditional courses, there are other types of courses that do not transfer to W&M, which include (but are not limited to):
- Courses that are below introductory level W&M courses such as Algebra and Basic Math, Basic Writing, Introduction to Business
- Courses with grades below a 'C'
- Courses in professional, vocational or sectarian religious study programs
- Courses offered through departments or programs that are not available at W&M, such as Journalism, Engineering or Nursing
- Study skills, orientation (FYS courses), ESL and certain credits granted for Military service/experience
- Credits granted for Varsity sports participation or through credit by examination