TribeCareers, William & Mary’s job and internship platform, connects students to thousands of jobs, internships, employers, and events using simple and powerful search tools and alerts. Log into your TribeCareers account using your W&M Username and password. You can quickly access your account from the link on the Office of Career Development & Professional Engagement homepage or directly at TribeCareers.wm.edu.
To maximize TribeCareers’ potential in your job or internship search, be sure to use the following tips after logging into your account:
Home Page & Announcements
When you log into your TribeCareers account, you will be brought to your home page, where you will find announcements and suggested opportunities.
At the top of the page, you will see a slideshow of upcoming events & opportunities.
Further down are suggested job and internship postings. These carousels pull postings that fall into 2 of 6 categories.
- Other students with your major: This category will show the list of opportunities your peers are interested in and applying for.
- Jobs you recently viewed or expressed interest in: This category will show you opportunities similar to ones you have already viewed in the system.
- Recently posted: This category will show you the most recent positions that have been added to TribeCareers.
- Because you applied to: This category will show you opportunities similar to ones to which you have already applied.
- Jobs from employers you are following: This category will list positions posted by employers that you have starred or favorited in TribeCareers.
- Expiring soon: This category will show opportunities that are expiring in the coming days.
These carousels are just suggestions. Utilizing the star icon (favorite) and the thumbs down icon (not interested) will help TribeCareers learn more about you and the types of opportunities that are of interest. The more you interact with the system, the better it will get to know you.
Below the carousel of jobs and internships, you will find the “What’s New” section, which will show you a full list of the most recent events, announcements, and postings. This may include some of the postings in your above carousels and/or banner images in the slideshow. Be sure to check this section for additional opportunities that are available to you!
Update Your Account
Click the circle on the top right side of the page and then “My Account.” You will see the following options:
- Personal Information: You can indicate whether you are active duty or a student veteran and edit your address in this section.
- Industry Newsletters/Career Interests: You can opt into industry newsletters and personalize your career preferences here.
- Emails & Notifications: You can modify your communication settings here. Under Emails, you can opt into system message that are emailed out periodically and under Notifications, you can set your communication preference by checking “web” (notification within TribeCareers) or mobile (notification in the mobile app).
- Privacy Settings: You can publish your profile to Symplicity Recruit employers by turning on “Promote Me”. See below (Profile) for what information would be shared with employers.
Under the “Public Profile” tab, you can edit the information that recruiters would see if you turned on “Promote Me” (see above). You can add education, organization & activities, skills and competencies, projects, and honors and awards.
- If you opt in to “Promote me” and “Publish” your account, your profile will be visible to Symplicity Recruit employers.
Add resumes, cover letters, transcripts and additional documents to your account by clicking on the circle on the top right, then “My Documents,” then “Add New.” You can have up to 10 documents in your account at any time.
- Click “Employers” located in the top menu.
- You can search for employers by keywords, location, or industry.
- On the employer’s TribeCareers page, you will see an overview, any current jobs/internships they have active, upcoming campus events they are hosting or attending, and contacts if they have any posted publicly.
- Once you find an employer you are interested in, you can favorite the company or organization by clicking on the “Follow” button in the upper right corner of their page. You will then receive updates when they post a new job, internship, or event on campus.
Searching for Jobs/Internships
Click “Jobs” located in the top menu.
- You can search for specific employers or position type using the keyword search (see tips and tricks below) or by location.
- Utilize “Filters” to find opportunities by position type, industry, job function, and more.
- Favorite jobs/internships from the list by clicking the star icon or click on the thumbs down icon if you are not interested.
- Create a “Job Alert” to be receive notification alerts (daily, weekly, monthly, or quarterly) when new jobs opportunities are posted that meet your saved search criteria.
- You can also view any postings you have applied for or favorited by clicking on the “My Job Applications” tab under Jobs.
Tips and Tricks using the search bar in TribeCareers
- apple banana Find items that contain at least one of the two words.
- +apple +juice Find items that contain both words.
- +apple macintosh Find items that contain the word "apple", but rank items higher if they also contain "macintosh".
- +apple -macintosh Find items that contain the word "apple" but not "macintosh."
- "some words" Find items that contain the exact phrase "some words" (for example, rows that contain "some words of wisdom" but not "some noise words").
- apple* Find items that contain words such as "apple", "apples", "applesauce", or "applet".
OCR postings are noted with an “Campus Interviews” sticker next to the posting. You can also search for OCR positions you qualify for using the “Show Me” filter in the left-hand corner of the search page.
Before applying for or signing up for an on-campus or virtual interview, please review the Office of Career Development & Professional Engagement’s No-Show/Cancellation Policy.
After you have applied to an “On-Campus Recruiting” (OCR) posting, you might be invited to interview. If you are selected for an OCR position you will be notified via email. Log into your TribeCareers account, click on the circle at the top right, and click on “My Interviews” to select a slot for your interview.
Some of our OCR interviews might be virtual. If this is the case the posting will be noted with a “Virtual” sticker and a link will be provided to you in the days leading up to your interview.
In the middle of the screen, you will see 2 sections:
- “Requested Interviews” is where you will find OCR positions you have been invited to interview for, and you will need to select a date and time for the interview.
- To select a slot for your OCR interview, go to Requested Interviews and click on the 3 vertical dots on the right-hand side of the posting.
- From here, you can click “Schedule Interview” or “Decline Interview” if you are no longer interested in the position.
- Clicking on “Schedule Interview" will open up a pop-up box with dates and time slots available.
- Once you select your preferred time slot, the posting will appear under the “Scheduled Interviews” box on the Interviews page.
- “Scheduled Interviews” is where you will see upcoming interviews for which you’ve already selected a date and time.
Click “Events” on the top menu to see a list of all upcoming workshops, information sessions, and fairs.
- There are multiple filters you can search by, including event type, event timing (e.g. coming up, today, this week, etc.), and more. There is also a keyword search option.
- Click into an event to see the details. If the event is virtual the link or instructions will be listed in the description.
- Note: For some events, you will be required to sign up in advance to receive a link or sign up in multiple locations like an employer’s registration like as well as TribeCareers. Make sure you read through the event details thoroughly.
- If the event is in person, make sure to click the “ATTEND” button. Once you click this button a green bar will appear at the top saying “You’re Attending.” You can view events you have registered to attend or been waitlisted for by using the “Attendance” filter.
- If you can no longer attend an event, please be sure to remove yourself from the event by clicking on the “CANCEL” button on the green bar in the event.
Under the “Resources” tab on the top menu, you can find some helpful career exploration and development tools.
- Career Explorer allows you to explore careers based on industries, growth, green jobs, preparation, and other criteria. The source of this information is the U.S. Department of Labor’s O*Net Online.
- Career Finder allows you to learn more about career options. This tool offers an assessment that results in personalized career suggestions based on your interests and level of work experience. Click on the “Get Started” button in the center of the page to begin.
- The Office of Career Development & Professional Engagement Resources offers you quick 1-page guides, instructional videos, helpful articles, and video clinics.
You can schedule advising appointments or request interview rooms under the Advising Appointments tab on the top menu.