Often considered one of the most significant related experiences on a resume, internships are intentional, structured opportunities where you can apply what you are learning in your courses in a professional setting that is also a learning environment.
Internships may be paid or unpaid and completed for academic credit or non-credit bearing. While some employers will be looking for juniors or seniors for their internships, there are options for students of all class years. These experiences typically span across a semester or summer and can be full-time or part-time.
With an internship experience, you can:
- Test out a company and career to determine if it is the right path for you.
- Develop and enhance transferable and industry-specific skills.
- Build professional networking connections and valuable references.
- Learn what it's like to be a professional member of the field you are entering.
- Gain a better understanding of how your coursework applies in a professional setting.
- Get your "foot in the door" at a company.