Close menu Resources for... William & Mary
William & Mary W&M menu close William & Mary

The Bray-Digges House

Dr. Susan Kern of Historic Campus at W&M lectures Dr. Carl Lounsbury's "Hist 410: Early American Architecture" Students at Bray-Digges House

On 25 February 2021, William & Mary and Colonial Williamsburg announced the identification of the structure used for the Bray School for enslaved and free Black children between 1760 and 1765. Known as the Bray-Digges House, the structure stood at 524 Prince George Street until 10 February when it was relocated to its permanent home at the intersection of Francis and Nassau streets.

During the Spring 2021 semester, students in Dr. Carl Lounsbury’s Early American Architecture Course worked to document, draw, and record architectural details of the Bray-Digges House. The completed report—“Dudley Digges House aka Bray School and Brown Hall Annex: Room-by-Room Inventory of the Building Fabric”—includes the work of Caitlin Blomo, Marissa Condie, Adam Pleasants, Claudia Santa Anna, Caitlin Snook, Mae Tilley, and Maria Torregrosa. You can find the write-up here:
Bray-Digges House: Room-by-Room Inventory of the Building Fabric