Currently, the Music Department is unable to reserve rooms until a Technical Director has been hired to oversee the technical needs of W&M and outside groups using the university’s Concert Hall and Recital Hall.
- Email your request to reserve a room to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please read this page carefully. By requesting a reservation, you acknowledge and accept the Policies and Procedures for use of the Music Building's rooms which are currently being revised.
- We will respond to your request within three working days.
- If we determine that a reservation request is unsuitable for the space requested, we will deny that request. Appeals to a reservation decline are subject to the decision of the Chair of the Music Department.
- The use of any room in the Music Building by off-campus groups does not include the use of W&M equipment (stands, audio equipment, musical instruments).
- Pay all applicable fees one week before your scheduled event.
For Events During the Academic Year
We begin approving Fall Semester reservations after the end of the fall add/drop period (early September). We start approving reservations for the Spring Semester in mid-October, after fall break. You may begin making reservations for the summer in mid-March, after spring break.
For Events During the Summer
You may begin making reservations for the summer in mid-March, after spring break. We will not approve requests to reserve a room for more than one day during the summer unless a faculty member is involved with the organization making the request and agrees to help out if needed. All summer reservations will be subject to approval by the Chair of the Music Department.
We will allow reservations to rooms according to these priorities:
- Official/non-official academic classes
- Official Department of Music functions
- Senior recitals or honors projects
- W&M affiliated groups
- All other events
Faculty members scheduling an event that takes precedence over another may bump any previously scheduled renters when conflicts arise. Bumping will be done with proper notice and with as little inconvenience as possible. We will not bump an event with a paid reservation except under extraordinary circumstances. The option to bump an event is at the discretion of the Chair of the Music Department.
Rooms Available for Rental
The following rooms are available for rental through the Department of Music. All rooms are located in the Music Building on the William & Mary campus.
Recital Hall (Room 142)
The Recital Hall is a functioning academic space, as well as a performance hall. Each semester, this space is used for student rehearsals, private lessons, senior project performances, academic classes, and department-sponsored performances, such as our Ewell Concert Series events.
The Recital Hall seats approximately 130 people and is wheelchair accessible. The department provides a piano for use by those reserving the space. It is the responsibility of the renter to position the piano on the stage and return the instrument to its original location after the event.
Note: The department is responsible for the maintenance and tuning of all pianos. Please notify the Department Administrator at least one week before your event to arrange piano tuning. A charge will be incurred for tuning.
Under no condition is the re-aiming of the lighting permitted. Lights should be turned off when leaving the facilities. The department stresses that Ewell Recital Hall is a small recital hall and not a theater. It is suitable for small recitals, poetry readings, master classes, and lectures. The stage is small, and there is very little space backstage. There are minimal lighting options for the space, and the department's AV equipment is not available for non-departmental events.
Choral Room (Room 154)
The Choral Room is used by the department as an academic classroom and a rehearsal space for the Choir, Women's Chorus, Botetourt Chamber Singers, and several of our departmental ensembles. The room is frequently rented by small student groups for rehearsals and meetings.
Classroom (Room 217)
Room 217 is used by the department as an academic classroom and as a rehearsal space for some of our departmental ensembles. The room is often used by small student groups for rehearsals and meetings.
Rehearsal Room (Room 116)
The Rehearsal Room is used by the department as a rehearsal space for the Wind Ensemble, Jazz Ensemble, and Symphony Orchestra, as a place to teach private lessons, and as a storage space for large instruments. The room can hold approximately 85 people and is an ideal space for large ensemble rehearsals or group meetings. Please note that due to the nature of the equipment stored in this room, the room's use is restricted. All non-departmental reservations will be subject to approval by the Chair of the Music Department.
Classroom (Room 228)
Room 228 is used by the department as an academic classroom and as a rehearsal space for some of our departmental ensembles. The room is often used by small student groups for rehearsals and meetings.
Payment of all fees is due to the Bursar's Office at least one week prior to the event.
- Rental Fee: Each of the rooms may be rented for $100 per event.
- Custodial Fee: Ewell Hall has no regular custodial service between Friday evenings and Monday mornings. In order to ensure that the facilities are clean, restrooms restocked with paper, and trash cans emptied, groups renting over a weekend will incur a $50 custodial fee to aid the department in paying for a contracted custodial service. The only rentals exempt from this fee are senior recitals by music concentrators and official Department of Music events.
- Piano Tuning: If you need a piano tuned before your event, there will be a fee for that. The Music Department is responsible for arranging piano tuning, so coordinate this with Department Administrator.
Ewell Hall Access
Entrance doors to the Music section of Ewell Hall are open every day of the week from 7:00am to 11:00pm.
Doors to Ewell 107 (Recital Hall), Ewell 151 (Choral Room), and Ewell 154 (Classroom) are open Monday-Friday from 7:00am to 10:00pm but are locked Saturday-Sunday. The door to Ewell 207 (Rehearsal Room) is open every day from 7:00am to 10:00pm.
Music faculty and staff members have card swipe access to all of Ewell at all times. All W&M students enrolled in a Music course have card swipe access to the main door of Ewell at all times.
Access for non-Music renters during locked hours is available only by card swipe access. Once your reservation is confirmed, we will handle any necessary programming of IDs.
Responsibilities of Renter
Chairs/Props: The renter is responsible for all physical room arrangements, including the moving of pianos, chairs, tables, curtains, etc. Rooms must be returned to their original state upon the end of a reservation.
Security: Doors must be secured when leaving a rented room. If the room is left unsecured and damage occurs to the room or its contents, the group who used the room last will be held responsible for the damage.
I understand and agree not to hold William & Mary and/or the Commonwealth of Virginia responsible for costs, expenses, fires, injuries, and/or deaths which arise from or are caused by the use of W&M facilities of the activity hereby applied for the applicant, its employees, agents, invitees, or independent contractors.