About Yule Log
Thank you to Omicron Delta Kappa and Mortar Board for hosting the annual Yule Log ceremony, and thank you to those who joined us from afar and gathered in the Wren Courtyard. The ceremony is now available as a recording for all to enjoy. We enjoyed festive music and singing, student reflections on themes of peace, joy and gratitude, the reading of special poems and stories, and the tossing of sprigs of holly into the fireplace in the Great Hall for good luck.
Messages of Gratitude
It's a time-honored William & Mary tradition to cast aside the year's woes by tossing a sprig of holly into the flames of the Yule log. In recent years, students have created a new tradition of adorning the trees in the Wren portico with paper doves illustrating messages of gratitude. We invite you to print out a paper dove (pdf) to decorate your own space with messages of gratitude.
Celebrate Yule Log from Afar
Joining from afar? Find an alumni celebration near you, or create your own. We've compiled everything here you need to create your own virtual watch party, complete with historic recipes, festive fireplaces, digital downloads and more.
For those not able to join us for cider and cookies after the ceremony, take time with family and friends to prepare some of these festive and historic recipes from Williamsburg's Virgie Williams — enjoy them during the ceremony and throughout the holiday season. Special thanks to Abram Clear '21, Yule Log 2020 co-chair, for introducing these recipes from the Swem Special Collections Research Center.
Watch the Ceremony
We were pleased to offer a live ceremony broadcast at 5:30 p.m. ET on Saturday, December 16, 2023. View the event program.
Event ProgramPrelude featuring music from the William & Mary Choir.
- Welcome featuring Sailor Miao ‘24, Vice President of Omicron Delta Kappa and Meghan Kirk ‘24, Vice President of Mortar Board.
- Moment of Silence.
- Land acknowledgement.
- 'Twas the Night After Finals featuring Ginger Ambler ’88, Ph.D. ’06, Vice President for Student Affairs.
- Traditional Prayers for Peace and Belonging featuring Catherine Freemon from Canterbury Association, Sam Rubin from W&M Hillel, Divya Sharma from the Hindu, Sikh and Jain Students Association, and Sarah Ibrahim from the Muslim Student Association.
- Holiday reading featuring President Katherine A. Rowe.
- Sing-along featuring the Barksdale Treble Chorus and William & Mary Choir.
- Tradition of the Yule Log featuring Chloe Moore ‘24, President of Mortar Board, and Mac Ambler ‘24, President of Omicron Delta Kappa.
- Yuletide Medley featuring the Gentlemen of the College.
- Log procession and the Alma Mater led by the W&M Choir.
- Tossing of the holly.
- Following the ceremony, all are invited to listen to live music by the Wham Bam Big Band, the Cleftomaniacs and Passing Notes.