Reserving University Vans for your Student Organization
University owned cars and vans may be used by William & Mary students, student employees, and/or student organizations for official College business provided that the following conditions are met:
- The organization must be an officially recognized student organization.
- The purpose of the trip or activity must be directly related to the stated mission of the organization.
- Written approval must be given by the Director of Student Leadership Development.
- Designated drivers must have a valid operator's license, have successfully completed the van safety training program offered by W&M Police, and have no moving violations posted to their operator's license within the past year.
- Authorizations are for travel directly to and from the designated destination. Stops for meals may be made as long as they occur on the direct route.
- Travel is limited to the Commonwealth of Virginia or within a 250 mile radius of Williamsburg unless specific authorization is granted by the Director of Student Leadership Development.
Requests for vehicles must be submitted at least two weeks in advance to the Office Manager in Student Leadership Development, Sadler Center Room 273. This is necessary to allow time for Division of Motor Vehicle checks by W&M Police and verification of Van Safety Training. (Note: DMV checks are only done if van classes are being taken). Van Reservation form.pdf
Under the university's Vehicle Use Policy, you are required to complete a Student Driver Authorization Form prior to driving
(1) a university vehicle OR
(2) a personally-owned vehicle on university business or for a university-related activity) each as defined in the Policy) where you will be driving another student or seeking reimbursement (applicable if you are also an employee of the university).
Van Safety Training
Van Safety Training occurs at the beginning of each semester. It is recommended that at least one representative from your organization take the training so that you may have access to a College vehicle if the need arises. Please contact the Office of Student Leadership Development (757) 221-3300 for the specific course schedule.