Top 10 Photo Basics
Your photo and your government issued photo ID must be submitted simultaneously for identity verification and acceptance. Before submitting your photo, please confirm it complies with the photo submission requirements.
- Photo area to show collarbone to top of head - no blank space up top.
- Color photo ONLY but should not include enhancing (i.e. no lenses, filters, text, envois, stickers, etc.)
- Background in plain SOLID white, off-white, or light blue - no items/art/nature in background
- Your photo must be a clear image of ONLY you (not blurry, grainy, or fuzzy) against a plain background
- Use uniform illumination to prevent shadows on face and background
- Squarely face the camera. Shoulders and face should be straight. Sit or stand straight, face the camera, and look straight ahead-DO NOT tilt your head
- Adjust your hair so that your entire face is visible
- You may not wear hats or head coverings, except for religious or medical purposes
- Wear visible clothing contrasting to background
- No red eyes.
Additional Photo Tips
- Do not scan or submit a photo of a photo - this includes your driver's license or school ID photo
- Be sure to hold the camera on your mobile device very still.
- Avoid glare on glasses with a slight downward tilt of your head or by turning off the flash.
- Reduce shadows on your face by avoiding overhead lighting and making sure the lights on either side of you are of equal intensity.
- Photos are affected by the type of light used. Avoid mixing incandescent and fluorescent lighting. Too much light results in overexposure and a loss of resolution and more graininess. Too little light results in underexposure, shadows and loss of detail.