Close menu Resources for... William & Mary
W&M menu close William & Mary

Restricted Use Decals

The Restricted Use decal is available for freshmen and sophomores who have obtained permission to have a vehicle registered on campus. It is important to note that no student under consideration for an exception should bring a vehicle to campus until approval to purchase a Restricted Use decal has been granted. Please allow two (2) weeks for the approval process.

The Restricted Use Decal allows parking only at the Kaplan Arena (formerly W&M Hall) Lot, Monday at 7:00 a.m. until Friday at 5:00 p.m. Students displaying the silver restricted decal may NOT park in metered or timed spaces at any time. Once your exception is approved you may choose on campus parking or our long term vehicle storage option at the School of Ed Lot 3 at a fraction of the cost. The Long Term Storage Decal is not valid on the main campus during normal parking times; on those days you would require a supplemental parking pass.

Exceptions are granted to support part-time employment (at least 10 hours per week), physical disability, or approved volunteer service. Individuals with this privilege may register only one vehicle and must display the adhesive decal provided.

Chronic Medical Condition, Physical Disability or Illness

Requests for exception based on physical disability or illness requiring transportation off campus should be forwarded to the Office of the Dean of Students. These apply to W&M students or when the student is part of an immediate family members care plan. Forms for requesting this type of exception are available from Parking Services, the Office of the Dean of Students, and on line. You may also see the Dean of Students page on Restricted Parking for Medical ReasonsStudent Accessibility Services, and Temporary Handicapped Parking for more information.

Freshman and sophomore students seeking access to a personal vehicle and restricted parking for medical reasons are asking for an exception to College policy. All such exceptions must be reviewed and recommended to Parking Services by the Medical Review Committee (MRC). Petition approval is not automatic and is generally given only when a student's medical appointments cannot be accommodated by local Transit Services. The form must be completed by the student seeking access to his/her personal vehicle. 

SAS Provider Form (pdf)

Part-Time Employment

Requests for exception based on part-time employment should be submitted to the Parking Services office once employment has been secured. A temp pass may be granted while searching for employment. Final approval will be granted upon successful verification of employment and schedule meeting the minimum 10 hour per week requirement. Parking Services reserves the right to verify employment and continuation throughout the semester. Decal holders are responsible for ensuring that Parking Services has on file the most current employment information at all times.

Part-Time Employment Form (Word). Complete and remit via email to 

Volunteer Community Service

Requests for exception based on volunteer service should be forwarded to the Office of Community Engagement  located in Sadler Center 287. To apply for this exception use the online Tribe Link form located at OCE Student Volunteer Parking Permit Request

Other Exceptions

Other exceptions to policy may be granted for participation in athletic teams, certain Tribe clubs, dependents of parents abroad on military or diplomatic assignments out of the country, etc. These are considered and may be granted on a case-by-case basis. In order to apply you must submit the form below to the Director of Parking & Transportation Services with a description of the extenuating circumstances justifying the need to have a vehicle on campus. Since spaces are limited these exceptions will be granted in the order received and only after all other requests for exception have been considered.

Generic Exception Request Form 2020 (pdf)  Complete and remit via email to