- Housing. The Virginia Gazette is often a good source for local housing as well as the William and Mary Off Campus Housing Site.
- Textbooks. Textbooks for courses are ordered through the W&M Bookstore on Duke of Gloucester Street. You can also email your order to email@example.com or phone the bookstore at (757) 221-1651.
- myWM. You will be assigned a user ID and password after signing a contract and being entered into the system, or see [[sdbutl, Shanay Butler]] if you have questions about these. Once you have a user ID and password, you can access the myWM portal at http://my.wm.edu. That's the access point for email, Banner (where you get your class rosters and turn in grades) and Blackboard (where you post course materials).
- Coursepacks. Blackboard can be accessed from the myWM portal and used to create course-related webpages. You can set up a site for each course in Blackboard from myWM at the Self-Service tab, or email [[kkwalker, Kristy Walker]] with questions. Here are the Blackboard instructions. To distribute readings, most instructors find it easiest to scan readings as PDFs using one of the Department's copiers. You can email the PDF file to yourself, and then post the file to Blackboard. Students can either read the file online or print it out. If you wish to distribute documents, you can use PDFWriter. If you're using your office computer, choose Print and then select PDFWriter from the list of printers to create a PDF document. You can also download PDFWriter from the IT site (http://www.wm.edu/it).
- Course registration. W&M uses Banner (available through myWM) to register students in courses. Banner has a "waitlist" function, but we don't use it. Instead, you have two choices: a) keep your own list of students (based on need, order, etc.) and give them overrides yourself after asking [[jnsmith01, Jeanne Smith]] to close the course; b) tell students to watch for empty spots in the course.
- Office space, etc. See [[sdbutl, Shanay Butler]] about office assignments and distribution of keys. [[jnsmith01, Jeanne Smith]] handles reimbursements, paperwork for hiring, and course registration.
- Photocopying. The Department has two photocopiers. They are located in Tucker Hall 112 and 031. Photocopying is a major expense in the Department: if you're stingy with paper, we'll have more money for travel!
- ID card. Your W&M identification card serves as your library card, allows you entrance to Tucker after hours, and to the Recreation Center and pool. It also gives you select discounts around town, and if you put money on it, you can use it for vending machines. You may get an ID at New Faculty Orientation. If not, take a letter from the Chair (see Shanay Butler) or a copy of your signed contract and your Banner ID number ('93 number') to the ID office (Campus Center 169, phone (757) 221-2105).
- Faculty governance. English faculty have a strong tradition of participation in committees inside and outside of the department. View the list of Arts and Sciences committees. You may also read the A&S Faculty agendas and minutes.
- Information Technology. IT's homepage provides information on how to build your personal website, how to download software, how to receive additional training, and how to use the Faculty Digital Center.
- Backing up, accessing files. One convenient way to back up files on campus is to save them to your H: drive. This is your personal space and should be secure. You can access the same files from off-campus using Secure FTP software or via Virtual Desktops.
- Parking. The new Parking Services Office is located at 201 Ukrop Way (next to Adair Hall). Their number is (757) 221-4764.
- Moving expenses. Tenure-track faculty wishing reimbursement for moving expenses should review the guidelines (PDF). Contact Jeanne Smith with any questions and for reimbursement of expenses.
College of William & Mary - Child Care Center, Williamsburg, VA 23185, (757) 221-2121
LA Petite Academy, 5260 Olde Towne Road, Williamsburg, VA 23188, (757) 220-0121