The English-Stonehouse Fellowship is intended to support faculty-student research collaboration in the sciences and enhance the quality of our students’ undergraduate education by giving them the opportunity to engage in professional scientific research under the supervision of their faculty mentors. This fellowship especially encourages the formation of inclusive research teams, with a particular focus on extending research opportunities to first-generation college students.
The English-Stonehouse Faculty Fellow, a W&M faculty member, is appointed for two years and receives an annual stipend of $4,000. The Faculty Fellow selects two students , and together they undertake a two-year, team research project. Each Student Fellow receives $4,000 per summer; and the team receives an additional $1,000 each year to cover research-related expenses. The English-Stonehouse Fellowship is funded through the generosity of Cory English.
Faculty from the following disciplines are eligible to be considered for this award: Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Geology, Mathematics, Physics, and biological fields in Kinesiology and Health Science, and Psychological Sciences.
We are currently accepting applications for the English-Stonehouse Faculty Fellow. Applications are due by 5:00 pm on October 16, 2023 to the Charles Center, [[charlescenter]].
Eligibility: Tenured and tenure-eligible faculty in Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Geology, Mathematics, Physics, and in natural science sub-fields of Kinesiology and Health Sciences and Psychological Sciences are eligible. Faculty should have an excellent record as teachers and scholars, and a demonstrated commitment to including undergraduates in their research. Because the fellowship includes student stipends and supervision of student fellows, eligible faculty must have a presence on campus during the 2-year term 2023-24 and 2024-25.
Fellowship provisions include:
- Faculty fellows will be compensated in the form of a $4,000 as summer salary in 2024 and 2025. This fellowship may be held in combination with another award or professorship.
- Stipends of $4,000 for two undergraduate student fellows, in each of the two summers of the faculty fellowship. Student Fellows will require a summer commitment of 10 weeks of full-time research. The faculty fellow will work with the Charles Center to coordinate the student fellow program.
- $1,000 to be used at the Professor's discretion for materials, faculty, or conference travel, and other project-related expenses.
Faculty Application: Interested faculty should submit a CV and 2-page letter of application as a combined PDF file. The application letter must include:
- a description of the research project that will be funded by the Fellowship
- a one-to-two paragraph summary of the past experience that the nominee has had incorporating students into their research
- a one-to-two paragraph summary of the specific role that Student Fellows will have in this project
- a brief statement detailing the faculty member’s commitment to and plan for forming an inclusive research team with opportunities available to first-generation college students. It is expected that students will be brought into the research as true collaborators and not just as assistants to perform basic tasks.
Please submit applications by 5:00 pm on October 16, 2023 to the Charles Center, [[charlescenter]]. Please clearly identify the award and applicant’s last name in the subject line of the email (e.g., Application English-Stonehouse: Last Name).