If you smell natural gas or any other fumes or vapors immediately leave the area and call 911.
Tell the operator who you are, where you are and where you smelled the odor.
Provide any information you may know about odor, or any other hazardous materials possibly in the building.
Some campus emergencies, including gas leaks and building fires, may require building evacuation. During a building evacuation, follow these steps:
- Calmly evacuate the building when instructed by fire alarm or other alert notification method.
- If you can, help others who require assistance to evacuate. If you are not able to assist, tell rescuers where you last saw them. When possible, use enclosed stairways to exit if you are not on the building entrance level.
- Leave ventilation systems running unless instructed by fire or safety officials to shut them off.
- Quickly turn off all flame and spark producing equipment in the area (i.e. Bunsen burners, calorimeters, atomic absorption).
- Retreat to a safe place or pre-arranged muster point outside the building.
- Identify a location where you and your co-workers/classmates will check-in with each other.
- Remain in your safe location until everyone is accounted for and notify emergency responders if you think someone may be trapped.
- Do not re-enter the building until emergency personnel determine it is safe.