New flu viruses, such as H1N1, influenza virus, create a greater threat for a pandemic.
- Get your flu shot!
- Wash your hands. Many germs spread through human contact, so wash your hands frequently.
- Practice good cough and sneeze etiquette by covering your mouth and nose when you cough and sneeze. Use tissues to trap germs.
- Stay away from people who are sick or not feeling well. Healthy adults infected with the virus may infect others beginning one day before symptoms develop and days after becoming sick.
- Stay home if you are sick. It is better for you to get well and prevent the spread of the virus to others.
- Students - go to the Student Health Center.
A wide-spread emergency, such as a severe hurricane or large-scale public health emergency, may require an evacuation of the entire campus. Understand the different types of campus evacuations:
- Students are required to evacuate residence halls and leave campus for a safer location. All residence halls will be locked.
- The campus will close soon after a mandatory evacuation is issued.
- Students should implement their evacuation plans.
Available Resources for Evacuations
- W&M Parking & Transportation
- SA Rideshare