Susan T. Evans
Director of Creative Services
William & Mary
Let's Give 'em Somethin' to Talk About (Facebook, Twitter, Blogs, YouTube and More) was presented at edUi 2009 and HighEdWeb 2009.
William & Mary launched a mascot search in February 2009. The communication plan integrated traditional print and web with social networking tools. The emphasis of the William & Mary mascot search communication plan was building online communities and using them as the primary means to inform and engage alumni, students, faculty, staff, and friends. The bottom line? We used the web to create an open and broadly inclusive process.
The presentation includes these elements:
• an outline of the communication plan
• a description of how we are integrating social networking tools with traditional print and web
• a show-and-tell of relevant web, Facebook, blog, Twitter, and YouTube sites
• a summary of how SurveyMonkey was used for surveys
• a discussion of our coordination with and support from decentralized communication units (development, alumni association, etc.)
• some suggestions for keeping it fun, interesting, and interactive
• evidence that alumni of all ages use the Web!