Close menu Resources for... William & Mary
W&M menu close William & Mary

VIII. Insurance and Liability Coverage

Liability Coverage

The following discussion is a very brief overview of the State liability protections applicable to auto accidents that is provided for information only. Determinations as to liability coverage and legal services are made by State officials.

A.  University Vehicles.  University-owned vehicles are insured for liability coverage up to $2,000,000 per claim under the Commonwealth's Risk Management Plan. Individuals using university vehicles in the scope of their employment or who have been authorized to conduct university business using a university vehicle or rental car are protected up to two million dollars for negligence resulting in bodily injury and property damage to third parties. In addition, legal defense may be available through the State with respect to any claim, suit, action or other proceeding relative to any loss or other occurrence that may be covered under this Plan. However, individuals will not be covered for acts of intentional, malicious, willful and wanton misconduct, or criminal acts in the use of a vehicle.

B.  Personal Vehicles.  Accidents involving personal vehicles, even when used for university business or in the course of university activities, are the responsibility of the vehicle owner; any insurance claims arising from such an accident are the responsibility of the owner's insurance.

Physical Damage Coverage

The university does not have comprehensive or collision insurance. Individual units are responsible for any needed repairs to university-owned vehicles.

Rental Vehicle Coverage

Liability protection is provided under the Commonwealth Risk Management Plan (see Section VIII). University employees are covered for physical damage to rental vehicles. This coverage is for any damage the driver causes to the vehicle; however, it does not cover damage by fire, weather, vandalism, animal damage, glass breakage and similar events (i.e., crack in the windshield caused by a rock; damage inflicted on parked/vacant vehicles). Damages of this type will be charged to the department that rented the vehicle. The university does not pay for additional collision damage insurance. Drivers electing to purchase this coverage will not be reimbursed, unless private funds are available through one of the university's affiliated foundations.