Close menu Resources for... William & Mary
W&M menu close William & Mary


For firework displays conducted on state-owned property or within state-owned buildings, permits are to be obtained through the State Fire Marshal’s Office. Other than for what occurs on state-owned property or within a state-owned building, the State Fire Marshal’s Office does not issue firework display permits for displays within any city, county or town.

University departments must contact the EH&S Office to coordinate site location.  External organizations shall contact their University sponsor for approval to host a fire works display on campus.  In both cases, the pyrotechnicians must complete and submit the Virginia State Fire Marshal’s Office Fireworks Application found on their website.

Restrictions concerning use of the university property are as follows but not limited to:

  •  Plywood is placed under all fireworks during set-up to prevent any damage to turf.                        
  • No shells bigger than 3” inches will be used at the show.                              
  • All Debris cleared by close of business the following day.             
  • Fireworks crew must arrive no later than 1pm the day of the shoot.  In the case of an unavoidable delay, the company must notify the EH&S Office as soon as possible.
  • The only vehicles allowed on the launch site will be provided by William & Mary sponsoring department.
  • Buildings immediately adjoining the launch site will have the windows secured to prevent breakage.

If there is excessive fireworks debris on buildings, it must be removed.  Any expenses required for the clean-up will be the responsibility of the requesting department.