Homecoming 2013 promises something for everyone
From Oct. 24-27, alumni from around the globe will make their annual pilgrimage back to William & Mary to celebrate and reconnect with classmates and their alma mater.
William & Mary’s annual Homecoming parade will be Fri., Oct. 25 at 4:30 p.m. and will be streamed live at wmalumni.com. The parade route will begin on North Boundary Street, before coming up Richmond Road and winding through campus.
Following the parade will be a pep rally in Zable Stadium at 5:30 p.m. and the Friday Night Block Party on Richmond Road beginning at 6 p.m. Immediately after the parade, Richmond Road will be closed from Wawa to the Alumni House, and Scotland Street will be closed to Braxton Court. The block party will include live music, beer trucks and great food by Paul’s/College Delly, the Green Leafe, Aramark Catering and the Catering Co.
The following is a list of road closures to be aware of during the parade and Friday Night Block Party:
- North Boundary Street will be closed from 3:15 to 5 p.m.
- Richmond Road from College Corner (Confusion Corner) to Dillard Street will be closed from 4:30 to 5:30 p.m.
- College Corner (Confusion Corner) will be closed from 4:30 to 5:30 p.m.
- Scotland Street from Braxton Court to Richmond Road will be closed from 4:30 p.m. to midnight.
- Richmond Road from Armistead Avenue to Scotland Street will be closed from 4:30 p.m. to midnight.
The Homecoming football game will feature the Tribe taking on CAA foe James Madison University at Zable Stadium on Sat., Oct. 26 at 3:30 p.m.
“Homecoming is a time the entire William & Mary community looks forward to with great anticipation,” says Karen Cottrell, executive vice president of the Alumni Association. “Everyone is welcome. And this promises to be the best Homecoming in recent memory.”
Highlights of Homecoming 2013 include:
- Sundial Speaker Series: Fri., Oct. 25 to Sat., Oct. 26 (free). Lectures on a variety of topics (see wmhomecoming.com).
- Homecoming Parade: Fri., Oct. 25, starting at 4:30 p.m. (free). This year’s Homecoming Grand Marshal is Millie West.
- Friday Night Block Party: Fri., Oct. 25, from 6 to 11 p.m. at the Alumni House, Richmond Road and Scotland Street, featuring live music and food and drink from local vendors (pay-as-you-go).
- All-Alumni and Reunion Class Tailgate: Sat., Oct. 26, from noon to 3 p.m. in the Sunken Garden with beer, wine and tailgate food ($20 adult/$10 child).
- W&M Football Game: Sat., Oct. 26 at 3:30 p.m. at Zable Stadium. The Tribe will take on James Madison University. Call 757.221.3340 to purchase tickets.
- Saturday Night Bash: Sat., Oct. 26, from 9 to 11:30 p.m. in the Sunken Garden featuring Slap Nation (formerly Slapwater). The $15 entrance fee includes beer, wine and a variety of finger foods (cash bar for premium liquors).
- Ticket Prices increase by $5 after Oct. 24).
- Complete Schedule is available at wmhomecoming.com.
“Since the first Homecoming on Oct. 23, 1926, the Alumni Association has hosted the annual reunion for generations of W&M alumni, family and friends,” says Cottrell. “The first Homecoming football game was played against George Washington University and the Tribe was victorious, winning 14-0 at old Cary Field. Since then, the alumni ranks have grown to more than 90,000 living alumni and the College has become one of the world’s leading public universities and among the best universities in the United States.”
The Alumni Association expects thousands of alumni, students, faculty, administrators, parents and friends of the College to participate in this year’s 87th anniversary celebration of Homecoming at William & Mary.
A complete list of campus events, prices and an online registration form are available at wmhomecoming.com or by calling the Office of Alumni Events at 757.221.1174, Monday through Friday, between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m.