Resources for... William & Mary
William & Mary W&M menu close William & Mary

Advising FAQs

When should I declare an English major?

You usually declare a major during the spring semester of your sophomore year, during the advising period held before pre-registration for the fall semester.

It’s possible to declare a major at other times. You may declare a major when you’ve completed at least 39 credits; you must declare a major by the time you’ve completed 54.

How do I declare a major?

Detailed information on how to declare an English major or minor can be found here.

How do I get an advisor?

You choose your advisor from this list. Typically, students choose an advisor they know well or who shares their interests. Many faculty have information on teaching and research interests posted on their web pages, accessible from the department’s faculty directory.

How do I make an appointment with my advisor?

Just contact them! Assuming they are available, any of the advisers on the list above will be glad to help you.

What should I do if my advisor goes on leave?

If your advisor goes on leave, you may decide to request another official advisor, since only your official advisor has access to your records and so is the only person able to answer questions that concern your coursework (e.g., whether you’ve fulfilled particular requirements). Many of the questions you’re likely to have, however, can probably be answered by any faculty member.

How often should I see my advisor?

The English Department doesn’t require students to see their advisors. Anytime you’d like advice about course selection, graduate programs, or anything else, just email your advisor to make an appointment.