Our History

Department History
  • Applied Science began as a program in the 1970s whose topical emphases included computer science, applied math, chemical physics, and atmospheric and plasma science (ionospheric studies).
  • Applied Science became an independent department in 1995. Its research focused broadly in the area of material science.
  • In the early 2000s, the department started a new track in life sciences, featuring experimental efforts as well as theory and modeling.
History of our Building 
  • Dedicated on October 27, 1995, McGlothlin-Street Hall was first named Tercentenary Hall for the College of William and Mary's 300th birthday celebration in 1992-1993. Built at a cost of $9.5 million, the four-story structure occupies a site along the historic Sunken Garden, and thus completed the 1925 master plan of buildings on "old campus". 
  • Bricks used for the building were custom-made by the Old Virginia Brick Co. to closely resemble bricks used for the Wren Building.
  • In September, 1997, Lady Margaret Thatcher, former prime minister of Great Britain and Chancellor of the College was the principal speaker at the re-dedication of the McGlothlin-Street Hall. The building was renamed to honor James McGlothlin (class of 1962, 1964), Chairman and CEO of The United Company of Bristol, Virginia, a former member of the Board of Visitors.