Close menu Resources for... William & Mary
W&M menu close William & Mary

Financial Matters


When the committee for an A&S graduate program recommends admission of a student, it also recommends the level (if any) and kind of financial support offered to the admitted student. These recommendations are considered by and become official through the Office of Graduate Studies.

If admitted, we suggest that you carefully weigh your projected costs and the financial package you are offered, as these will be determining factors in your overall budget for the duration of your graduate study.

Depending on your degree program, an admitted student's financial package might include a tuition waiver, a teaching assistantship, or a research assistantship through a grant administered by your advisor in your program.  

In addition, supplemental funding for research and conference travel is available. External funding agencies may be a source for supplemental funding. During the academic year, the weekly Graduate A&S Newsletter lists funding opportunities.

Tuition & Fees

Exact costs will vary based on your status and course of study. View a detailed (per semester) tuition and fees breakdown.

Cost of Living Estimates

The Reves Center for International Studies provides estimates on living expenses (per academic year) for the purpose of international students' visa applications. Although these figures are not intended for personal planning, they can provide an estimation of the cost of living for graduate students in Arts & Sciences.

In-State Status

To claim in-state status for tuition purposes, students should apply for In-State tuition when submitting their admissions application. This information is submitted in the Residency portion of the application.  Otherwise, you may complete the Application to Determine Physical Residency and In-State Tuition Eligibility Your completed application may be emailed to the or uploaded through the secure document platform, Domicile Documentation via Box.

G.I. Bill

As is the case with all federal programs, the Financial Aid Office follows guidelines from the federal government to assist you in obtaining your benefits. The Office of the University Registrar provides resources that you can consult for information and updates as they become available. These offices are your best sources of information for these benefits.