The Monroe Scholar Program began in 1984 as the "Presidential Scholar Program." At first, the only benefit the Scholars received was the opportunity to live in a designated dormitory. The generosity of our alumni and friends let us add a summer research grant of $2,000 in 1992. We were able to increase this award to $3,000 in 2003.
Your continuing generosity has allowed us to
- fund freshmen research grants
- increase the scale of our speaker series, and
- build an advising program to assist Scholars applying for prestigious national awards and scholarships.
We have big plans for expanding the benefits that Monroe Scholars receive. Our highest priorities include
- increasing the size of freshman research stipends
- supporting the honors thesis research of Monroes, and
- building a fund to assist with research costs and academic conference travel.
Since 1984, the Monroe Scholar Program has relied on the generosity of our alumni and the families of our students. This reliance has only grown. The Monroe Scholars program would not exist without the support of alumni and friends.
We hope that you consider contributing online to the success of future Monroe Scholars. You may designate your gift by adding a note in the "Comments" field, for the Monroe Scholars program.