Internships are an excellent way to:
- Gain valuable information and a fresh perspective on your academic work
- Help you develop expertise and personal contacts within a workplace
- Increase community and global awareness
- Strengthen ties with local and national agencies
- Make a difference
You can get academic credit for internships in either the fall or spring semester, or over the summer. Before you begin an internship, make sure you file the Internship for Academic Credit Form (pdf) and get it signed by both your GSWS advisor and the Assistant Deans for Undergraduate Education. Ideally, complete this process during registration for the semester in which you wish to do the internship.
The Carol Woody Real World Internship Award provides funds to support spring break and summer internships.
Internship opportunities exist with many different service and advocacy organizations. Some examples:
Internship Possibilities in the Williamsburg Area
- Avalon: A Center for Women & Children, Williamsburg, VA
Intern Perspective: What Ann Rainey '09 has to say about her internship at Avalon
- Center for Sexual Assualt Survivors, Newport News, VA
- Colonial Community Corrections, Williamsburg, VA
- Equality Virginia, Richmond, VA
- Planned Parenthood, Hampton Health Center for Hampton, VA
- Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network
Intern Perspective: What Avina Ross '09 has to say about her internship at RAINN
- Virginia Sexual and Domestic Violence Action Alliance, Richmond, VA
Internship Possibilities in Virginia/Northern Virginia/Washington DC Metro Area and elsewhere in the US (for summer semester internships only)
Please consult the Director of the GSWS Program, to find out more about getting academic credit for internships over the summer.
- Emily's List, Washington DC
- Feminist Majority Foundation, Arlington, VA
- Center for Nonprofit Excellence, Charlottesville, VA
Intern Perspective: What Emilie Rafal '10 has to say about her internship at FOCUS
- Help and Emergency Response Shelter, Portsmouth, VA
Intern Perspective: What Lisa Maund '10 has to say about her internship at H.E.R.
- Human Rights Campaign, Washington DC
Intern Perspective: What Taylor Williams '12 has to say about her internship at H.R.C.
- Massachusetts Commission on the Status of Women
- NARAL Pro-Choice Virginia, Alexandria, VA
- NARAL Pro-Choice America, Washington DC
- National Organization for Women (NOW), Washington DC
- Virginia League for Planned Parenthood, Richmond, VA
- Women for Women International, Washington DC
- Women's Institute for Freedom of the Press, Washington DC
Intern Perspective: What Annie Brown, '10, has to say about her internship at WIFP
International Internship Possibilities (for summer semester internships only)
Please consult the Director of the GSWS Program to find out more about getting academic credit for internships over the summer.