Distinguished Senior Award in Molecular & Cellular BiologyDistinguished Senior Award in Organismal Biology
Each of these two competitive awards is given by the Biology Department annually to a graduating biology major who is nominated by their faculty mentor and meets the criteria listed below.
Award: $500 for each student
Requirements for Nomination:
- Nominee must be a senior
- Nominee must be engaged in their biology education through research, mentoring, or other activities
- Nominee must have an excellent academic record
- Nominee should exhibit enthusiasm, dedication, independence, leadership and other qualities indicating she or he is likely to be a good ambassador for both scholarship and science
- Nominees likely to have a career in the biological sciences will be favored
Material to Submit:
- Statement by the student on their achievements and how their liberal arts education in biology has influenced their future career plans.
- Copy of student’s resumé (prepared by the student), including details about
- research and travel grants
- presentations (including name of conference, location, date, etc.)
- publications (full citations)
- post-graduation plans
- other awards or relevant information
- Two letters of support from faculty members.
The application should be written by the student in consultation with the faculty mentor. The faculty mentor submits the application and letters of support to the Chair of the Undergraduate Studies Committee.